well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trump unveils Middle-East Peace Plan
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump unveils Middle-East Peace Plan
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Trump releases long-awaited Middle-East peace plan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51288218

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Oh good. Glad this problem is finally over with.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My Twitter response:

Focussing on this plan's "failings" misses its point. The plan isn't designed to bring a mutually agreed peace. It's designed to aid Likud in the next election, and to allow the terminally risk-averse Netanyahu to do things, like annex the Jordan valley, with fewer repercussions.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Oh good. Glad this problem is finally over with.

ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
May I assume this is the Jared plan?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think it was handed to him by Netanyahu. Or maybe Jabotinsky’s ghost.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The Allon Plan (labor) saw the Jordan Valley as essential to Israel's long term security. This isn't just right wing thinking.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Well of course there’d be overlap. But surely this is Netanyahu’s plan.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, but. I don't see this as driving a wedge between Likud and Blue/White. Gantz will be equally happy incorporating the Jordan Valley. He'll likely be less happy with some of the isolated settlements, but in its broad outlines this "plan" likely will be welcomed by 70% of Israel's electorate. [Everybody but the Arab sector, Hadash, Meretz, Mapam, and maybe a few ultra-orthodox who don't accept the Israeli state]

If a plan like this had been proposed in 1986, what would we have seen from Cairo, Jeddah, Amman, Abu Dhabi and Kuwait? We would have seen millions in the street, and the "Arab League" coming together to denounce us. We would have seen the Soviet Union orchestrate a motley collection of developing nations to thunder that the end of neo-colonialism was nigh! And we would have seen hijackings and bombings all over the world.

What will we likely see over the next few weeks? Bloviation from Ankara. The WH will be quaking in its boots. A restrained clucking from Moscow, which is really rather close to Jerusalem these days. Will millions thunder along the Nile? Not thinking so. Will the Gulf states even eject Israeli back-channel trade delegations? Not likely.

Muted Arab Reaction

Why the change in US approach?

This may sound odd, but I think a big part of the reason is ... oil. The US is no longer dependent on the middle east. We're rapidly approaching zero net imports of crude. We simply don't have to carefully "work the room" in Arab capitols any more. A Clinton administration would have taken a very different approach, but the shale boom has given this particular administration, at this particular historical moment, the flexibility to do almost whatever it pleases.

The other forces of restraint, like Russia and the Arab street, are rather preoccupied with other bigger issues. And mass terror isn't really an option either. For a wide range of reasons (technological and political) non-state actors are playing a much smaller role than they did even five years ago (Islamic State), and certainly less than in the late 20th century.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
https://www.axios.com/pro-neta...20-ec8b9f8a7bd7.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Fareed Zakaria had an interview with Kushner last Sunday. It got broken up into chunks:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/...rumps-peace-plan.cnn

https://edition.cnn.com/videos...rump-re-election.cnn

There's another chunk but it's not currently available.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting pieces. Kushner was very well spoken.

At what point do the Palestinian people get tired of being mad at Israel and start wanting a better life? I had a feeling this plan would have more to do with economics than politics.

Maybe it will work.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How does Jared benefit personally?

Figure that out and the plan will make sense.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
This may sound odd, but I think a big part of the reason is ... oil. The US is no longer dependent on the middle east.

O Canada! We can thank our neighbors to the north for that. You may be right--I hadn't thought of that. The Iran situation is also playing into that.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How does Jared benefit personally?

Figure that out and the plan will make sense.

My reaction to the peace plan was that it read like Jared's senior honors thesis. I'd give him a B-, and encourage him to expand his research to other sources.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post