well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    December Trip Report - Tulum/Yucatan

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December Trip Report - Tulum/Yucatan
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
So we took a week-long trip to the Yucatan peninsula over Christmas week.   The main idea was to relax and have some good weather but we saw some ruins in the area as well.  

First a map of the area, in order to make sense out of my later descriptions:

Cancun is on the upper right coast.   We spent no time here, but did fly in and out of it and rent a car there.   Down the coast to about the middle of the map is Tulum.   This is where we rented an airbnb and stayed the seven nights we were there (that's about a 2hr drive south of Cancun).   We did day trips to Playa del Carmen (midway between Cancun and Tulum), Chichen Itza (in the north central part of the peninsula), and down to the Sian Ka'an ecological preserve, that darker green area south of Tulum around Puerta Allen.

Now to our trip.

First, a shot of the boy at JFK.  Note the sweatshirt, a Christmas gift from my niece.   

The first day was pretty much a travel day.  We're normally early morning flyers, but the schedule to Cancun wasn't amenable to that, so we took a midday flight that got us to Cancun around 6pm.   By the time we drove down to Tulum, found our place, got settled, and did a little grocery shopping, it was late enough that we just had a quick dinner and went to bed.

The boy and I woke up early, and decided to go check out the beach as the sun was coming up while Rachel slept in.   We got there after sunrise, but it was still just getting light.   Only the fishermen were out.   You can actually notice it getting lighter through these following three pictures, though I took them minutes apart.

Here's the boy, still in his PJs.

Later that first day we decided to see the ruins at Tulum.   They are only a little bit north of the above beach, in fact you can just barely see one of the ruins in the above picture, it's on the horizon above the stern of the boat in back.  It's a flat rock structure.

As we were walking up the road to the ruins, we saw this helpful sign.   Beach, ruins, and WiFi ahead.   What else do you need?

The ruins at Tulum are of a full city, so there are multiple buildings in various stages of decay.   

My two favorite explorers:

We saw quite a few iguanas there.   They camouflage themselves against the rocks quite well.

Speaking of strange creatures, we also saw this little ant eater or whatever he was.

One last photo for now.   In the wetland areas near the ruins we saw these strange trees, they have what appears to be an above-ground root system that makes it look like they are on legs.   It must give them stability in the watery habitat.

More later.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The next day was Christmas.   We decided to go to a local waterpark.   This is no ordinary waterpark, however, the water is actually a natural bay off of the Caribbean sea.   They put a giant shark net across the opening.   

We have very few photos, because of course you don't carry your phone at the waterpark.   But here's some photos from the internet to give you an idea.

This one has a great view of the 98 foot waterslide.   My son and I rode that about a dozen times.   Yes, we walked up 100ft of stairs about 12 times.   I may well be the only double lung transplant recipient ever to do that.  Smiler

This is a photo taken from the top of the slide.    You can see the natural bay and even the shark net across the opening.

Around the perimeter they have various activities.  Snorkeling, something they call 'snuba' (snorkeling with an air hose that goes up to the surface), swimming with dolphins, swimming with manatees, etc.   

One thing we do have pictures of - jumping off the 'cliff of courage':

This is about 15' high.   It takes a bit of courage for a 9 year old, or anyone for that matter.  My wife said NFW, which is why we have the video.  Big Grin

My turn:

And here's the boy zip-lining into the water.

More soon.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Very cool, jon-nyc, the water park looks like great fun! Boy-nyc is maturing isn't he!

Sounds like a great trip.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10561 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The next day we went to Chichen Itza.   It's about a 2 hour drive from Tulum.   

I was surprised how busy it was.   Maybe I shouldn't have been, since it was Christmas week.   But parking was a hassle (they had overflow lots, just far away) and the line for entrance tickets was 20m long or so.   

But the site itself is very large, again another city.   So once you're inside it doesn't feel crowded at all, though it's hard to get photos without lots of people in them.  

Here's one my wife took of 'El Castillo', the most famous of the buildings there:

I manage to get the back of it with no people.

Some other buildings on the site:

This is the 'Temple of the Warriors':

I was a little surprised to see a dome, I probably shouldn't have been.

Last from Chichen Itza, these skulls are really cool:

The following day we just relaxed at the local beach and the pool.   I don't think our camera came out.     The day after that we did the same thing, but in Playa del Carmen.   

One more series of photos to post, but I need to have dinner first.  Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your trip. I'll probably not get there, so enjoy your photos.

Is the tree 'legs' maybe under water often?

Boy is getting big!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yes, I just realized it's a mangrove. I've seen them many times, even tied up a canoe to them. But they're always in water.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The Saturday, our last full day there, we went to the Sian Ka'an ecological preserve.    It also has Mayan ruins in it, but I'll spare you the photos as they get a bit repetitive after a while.   

Here's a sign at the site itself, I'm including it so you can see their map.   Its a very large area, that includes bays and lagoons, wetlands, and woods.   

For sustainability reasons, they put a wooden dock-like path through the wetlands.    Here are my two favorite explorers again:

In the midst of the wetland area, there's an old somewhat rickety wooden tower that allows you to have a look above the canopy.   There was another couple up there so we got them to take our photo.   The tower was probably 40 feet high if I had to guess.

We walked through some wetlands to a lagoon.   There you could catch a little boat which would take you through a canal system that dates to the Mayan era.  

Just in the boat:

Going through canals:

A short video:

We got to the entrance of one canal where there was a small dock.   The boat tied up here, then the passengers could float through the canal for 20 minutes or so to where there was another dock.   From that dock was a very long wooden path back to where the boat was.   Unfortunately I couldn't get in the water (post transplant I need to worry about infections from ponds and such), but I got pictures of Rachel and the boy.

Here we are at the entrance to the canal.

And they're off:

Then I walk to the next dock to get them.   This was probably a kilometer long all told:

Here I am at the next dock waiting for them.  Those two guys are crew of two boats.  They were actually speaking Mayan to each other (I asked them).

Here they come:

He's pretty happy:

So the next morning was our last.   We had to vacate by 11am or so.   Just like we did on the first day, the boy and I let Rachel sleep while we said goodbye to the beach:

One last photo.  In the neighborhood where our apartment was there was this sign, in English as you can see.   A good New Years' message for all:

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your adventures!
What a lucky, lucky boy!

Don't know why but looking at el Castillo, made me think not only of Mayans (it's really still a language?!?!), but somehow of some poor virgin having her heart cut out in her rulers' hopes it would enhance their civilization's survival.

That'll show following civilizations that virginity doesn't do all that much to save your life, honor killings or not.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Nice, looks like you and the family had a great vacation!
Very happy for you, and thanks for sharing the photos! Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12677 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful trip! And a great balance of activity and hanging out, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Our family vacations weren't nearly as exotic, but they still created wonderful memories that I recall to this day. Your son is really fortunate to be able to experience these kinds of trips.

Really great photos and descriptions. Thanks for taking the time pull everything together to share here!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Fabulous photos! BoyNyc is getting so big. I can hardly believe it!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15502 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What a great trip!

Thanks for the photos! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34822 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures.
Have been to most of those places.
They are great for grownups and kids.
Have not been to the nature reserve.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post