well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sorting out what's going on with USPS

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorting out what's going on with USPS
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Sorry, WaPo paywall. Can't find a non-paywall version.

quote:
What you should know about USPS — and how it descended into crisis

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is days away from announcing his plan for the Postal Service to restore timely service and solve more than a decade of financial problems

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is expected to roll out his plan to reshape the nation’s mail service, making a deeper imprint on a government agency that has weathered a pandemic, a historic election and a crushing holiday season during his brief tenure.

The blueprint is sure to cause further delivery slowdowns — DeJoy said as much during a recent hearing on Capitol Hill — at a time when the U.S. Postal Service already is recording some of its worst performance metrics in generations. Cost-cutting measures the postal chief implemented over the summer have been blamed for much of those declines.

But the agency — and DeJoy’s role — is widely misunderstood. Here’s eight common misconceptions:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...hat-you-should-know/

(gritting my teeth: "here's eight common misconceptions".....)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm plowing through those 8 misconceptions but honestly I'm thinking, "so what"?

The bottom line is that delivery metrics are awful, and the USPS is deeply in the red. The notion that an entire nation's postal service, for heavens sake, must be a profit center is absurd. I don't want the Amazons, UPSs and FedEx's managing delivery for the country. It should be a public enterprise.

Bah humbug.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Hmm.

This kind of story comes up over and over. These stories started many years before the pandemic.

Of course, it is the aim of the private corporations to privatize the USPS.

However, (I think the financial trouble or potential for it) is due to a corrupt, odious pension funding law. The Republicans are responsible for this.

I don't doubt the pandemic has affected the situation.

IMO, though, what I wrote above is the root cause these stories.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post