well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    70% white city drives out it's black female police chief

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

70% white city drives out it's black female police chief
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
... all in the name of racial justice.

I'm sure she won't lack for opportunities.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...get-cuts/3342382001/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Do you think they cut the budget because she's black?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It was probably a mixture of short-sightedness, ideological possession, and political expediency.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Is it just possible that many police budgets are too large, and spent on the wrong things, completely in the absence of any politicking about defunding and systemic racism?

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Or maybe because Seattle police overreached in their use of tear gas, flash bangs and other crowd control measures? No, it surely couldn't be that....

for a group that prides itself on its skepticism....

I'm not saying that all the protests in Seattle, Portland and elsewhere have been peaceful kumbaya moments. But there's no doubt that the minority of violent actions, as despicable as they are, do not reflect what is really going on. But boy, don't those (often outdated, misappropriated or doctored) photographs make for great click-bait?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They cut $4 million out of a a $400 million dollar budget, and she quit?

There has to be more to the story....and I admit I haven't been keeping up....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

They cut her own salary and those of the leadership substantially I think. 100k cut I think? DOn't quote me.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see that's from the current year budget, and equates to an annual cut of $11 million.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We know the motivations, and see the compromises. That's democratic (lower case d) politics in all its beauty and ugliness. Big deal. This budget cut was trivial so far.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Or maybe because Seattle police overreached in their use of tear gas, flash bangs and other crowd control measures? No, it surely couldn't be that....

I'm not saying that all the protests in Seattle, Portland and elsewhere have been peaceful kumbaya moments. But there's no doubt that the minority of violent actions, as despicable as they are, do not reflect what is really going on. But boy, don't those (often outdated, misappropriated or doctored) photographs make for great click-bait?

quote:
Crime stats for the former nation of CHOP (pop ~700)

2 murders/23 days --> homicide rate of 4,534/100k per year (914 times higher than the US)

“security” killed 1 unarmed black 16-year-old --> CHOP security killed unarmed blacks at 421,000 times the rate of US police

THat's a quote of my post from a month ago or so. I think that second black kid (age 14) shot by 'security' might have died too. He was hanging on by a thread at the time I wrote that.

Seems like every generation has to prove Hobbes right yet again.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like every generation has to prove Hobbes right yet again.

Heck, people in one city (Portland) can't even learn from the experience in another (Seattle) a few weeks earlier. Unless, of course, they really like the idea of the earlier city's experience and want to replicate it elsewhere for ideological reasons.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What should they have learned?

jon_nyc: small sample sizes lead to greatly inflated percentages. But you know that.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

They cut her own salary and those of the leadership substantially I think. 100k cut I think? DOn't quote me.

I see that now (numbers are in the article below).

Plus it seems that she doesn't feel that she's involved in determining how to reimagine how policing in Seattle could change and how to implement a new structure.

I can see why she left.

https://www.king5.com/article/...ee-8ba1-597dd69cd2ca

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
@Nina - They do, so I wouldn't expect that percentage difference to scale.

However the idea that eliminating police leads to peaceful coexistence rather than a Hobbesian state of nature was fully and irretrievably falsified even in that short time. Which was really my point.

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Nina, why do you suppose the police abandoned the station in CHOP?

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post