well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Escape from the cascade of carp.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Escape from the cascade of carp.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I’ve been looking for some good movies/series to watch. It’s slim pickings out there despite the half dozen or services we have.

I know now where all of the creative people have gone, particularly creative writers. Animated kid’s shows are the most intelligent shows on any service right now. Toy Story 1-4. Monsters, Inc. and sequels. Dug and Carl. The Trash truck series. This stuff is brilliant and a breath of fresh air!

Worth watching even if you don’t have (grand) kids.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I suppose it is good that someone else noticed that good shows have become hard to find.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, do you watch any Japanese anime? Want some suggestions? WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I know what it looks like but I’ve never watched it.

Suggestions would be great!

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
These aren't animated, but if you are looking for suggestions......

We've been watching Manifest on Netflix - it's quite good IMO. We just finished Money Heist, which was also really good. That was originally a Spanish show overdubbed in English and it took a while to release the whole thing (with long breaks in between) but the whole series is out there now and it ends properly -- I HATE when series get cancelled and never wrap up or just have an awful ending where you are like "I sat through 6 seasons for THAT???" - Money Heist has a quality ending that won't leave you hanging.

I hear Squid Game is pretty good -- that is next on my to do list.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I know what it looks like but I’ve never watched it.

Suggestions would be great!

Actual movies:
1. Spirited Away
2. Princess Mononoke
These are the movies that have gotten the most acclaim in the US, and Spirited Away won an Oscar IIRC. Also, both have music by Japanese composer Joe Hisaishi, with lots of piano-centric pieces.

Series on Netflix:
1. Demon Slayer (kind of violent but in a cute way?) I think there are over 20 some episodes on Netflix IIRC
2. Attack on Titans (super violent, not in a cute way, but I became obsessed with this story). The bad thing (IMO) about this series is that, at present, only season 1 (20 some episodes) is available on Netflix.

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
For movies, I keep a running list of "original" movies I have watched since theaters re-opened after COVID. "Original" as in I try not to review any "remake" or "reboot" or "sequel" or "spin-off" in that list. Perhaps give this one a quick skim-through in case you find something that piques your interest:

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-...-reboot-not-spin-off

As for series, sticking only to those with English dialogues, I would say check out:
INVINCIBLE (on Amazon Prime)
Acapulco (on Apple TV+)
Loki (on Disney+)
Wanda Vision (on Disney+)
Once Upon A Time (on Disney+)
Leverage (probably on Amazon Prime)
What If ... (only if you like the Marvel cinematic universe, on Disney+)
Castle (probably on Hulu)
Kim Possible (if you're down with cartoons, on Disney+)

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh here’s another Amazon Prime one:

The Sound of Metal.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Tick Tick Boom. Netflix.

The Great on Hulu.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread was about how to avoid jumping Asian Carp.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve really been enjoying The Witcher. I watched the first season in 2020 (?) and the 2nd season has just come out. It’s a fairly complicated story based on books, and the timelines of the stories they switch back and forth between are different (and you don’t figure that out til the middle of the first season) so I had to start from the beginning to remember what the heck was happening. But it’s fun if you like that sort of thing. (It’s not kid appropriate, however).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'm rewatching The Sopranos,. Still very compelling, and of course Gandolfini is a marvel of physical acting to watch.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Then we have “Maid”. If you like stories about completely dysfunctional families and poor decision making (Educated, Glass Castle), you’re going to love it.

I couldn’t stand it and chewed off my foot to go to bed early.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Then we have “Maid”. If you like stories about completely dysfunctional families and poor decision making (Educated, Glass Castle), you’re going to love it.

I couldn’t stand it and chewed off my foot to go to bed early.

ROTFLMAO
Could not stand it. Kept foot.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
On Netflix Power of the Dog is an excellent movie.