well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone but Trump? Not so fast,
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone but Trump? Not so fast,
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Bret Stephens captures my sentiments pretty well, with the caveat that I could guiltlessly indulge my own principles because I live in a solid blue state.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...rren-trump-2020.html

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
If you didn’t read to the end, the idea isn’t ‘maybe Trump would be a better choice’, rather it’s ‘maybe none of the above is the better choice’.

In my case it would be a write in or a symbolic third party vote.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I’m not aware that none of the above is allowed to serve as President, under the Constitution.

The problem isn’t your conscience in a blue state. The problem is, people might start thinking that way in places that actually matter.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Question...does someone in a nursing facility for having half dementia get to vote? Brother in law is long time R. Ugh.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We’re definitely going to have my dad vote, and he is in memory care.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem isn’t your conscience in a blue state. The problem is, people might start thinking that way in places that actually matter.

+1

Also, although the electoral college is still the deciding factor (for now), knowing the numbers in the popular vote is important, and I think that will only increase in the next election. So I get it that you (Jon) are not advocating voting for Trump (obviously) but the "hold your nose and vote" might be very important (if the Dem candidate is one you don't like) in the event that Trump loses and wants to question the validity of the election results. Which I think we all know will absolutely happen and will absolutely be a nightmare. That's why the Dem candidate needs all of our votes, regardless of where you're voting.

So I don't agree with that article, and I think the author is underestimating the damage Trump is doing.

(plus you probably remember my WaPo results....)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
We’re definitely going to have my dad vote, and he is in memory care.
If he is competent and understands what he is doing and the consequences, that is fine If not you are taking his proxy which is illegal. I am surprised to hear an attorney say this.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Des Moines Register disagrees with Jon.

quote:
“The outstanding caliber of Democratic candidates makes it difficult to choose just one,” the board wrote. But ultimately, it declared, Warren is “the best leader for these times.”

https://www.politico.com/news/...r-endorsement-104643

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Our friends on the right have been willing (and some of them scarily happily willing) to see the GOP change from "free peoples, free markets" to a xenophobic battering ram knocking down the pillars of global stability while digging into the foundations of our own liberal constitutional order. All of this in order to control the Supreme Court.

I'll return the favor. I will hold my nose and vote for Bernie Sanders all for the same thing. To PREVENT the GOP from seizing that public asset for a generation.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This article bugs me. He glosses over Trump's obvious shortcomings, but hammers Warren for being untruthful, as he gives Sanders credit for his "honesty." His primary argument seems to be that Trump hasn't done anything "really bad," but he primarily means economically. He gives lip service to the damage Trump "might" have done to our governmental systems, but only discusses NATO, Russian sanctions, and immigration. My favorite is the little caveat he gives himself, "Has he significantly supressed the press?" Um, what would constitute significant in his mind? And are ineffective attempts to suppress the press A-OK?

And, of course, the reason why he "let" the house impeach him is because he had no power to stop it. You can bet he tried, through intimidation, obstruction and deceit. Yet he doesn't acknowledge that the same limitations (needing to pass legislation through the house and the senate) would also be in play for any Democratic POTUS, including Warren and Sanders.

The Dems have rightly been chastised for their "sky is falling" rhetoric against Trump. The same can be said for this.

This sentence sums up his narcissistic view: "Yet for the overwhelming majority of Americans, life is pretty much the same under Trump as it was under Obama." Oh, OK. Yes, it's true that the overwhelming majority of Americans aren't minorities, in poverty, or unemployed. Booyah. I guess we're done here. Life is good, no harm done, nothing to see, move along.

Harrumph.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

She’s the candidate for educated people who don’t think too deeply. So the mainstream press is basically her base.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
+1 to what Nina wrote.

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

She’s the candidate for educated people who don’t think too deeply. So the mainstream press is basically her base.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm not crazy about this article either.

"At least he hasn't started WW3 yet" seems like a the bar is set too low.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
"At least he hasn't started WW3 yet" seems like a the bar is set too low.

Yes