well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Every Solar System Model You Have Seen Was Wrong

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Every Solar System Model You Have Seen Was Wrong
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
So they built one.
The video is much better than expected.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
That was so cool! When I taught a gifted program many moons ago, we had scale models of each planet and took a walk to place them the distance they would be from the sun. This video is obviously 1000 times cooler!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I showed this video in my nonfiction writing class on Thursday and they loved it. I start that class off with a unit on ethics and we read several science-related essays--one of them exhibiting questionable ethics--as illustrations. I told them that I really admired the simplicity of what these people set out to do and the visceral, tactile way that they accomplished it.

Anyone who ever spends a few minutes watching that film will remember it every single time they see a picture or model of the solar system, and they'll understand the solar system's reality a bit better. I think that's remarkable.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
That was so cool! When I taught a gifted program many moons ago, we had scale models of each planet and took a walk to place them the distance they would be from the sun. This video is obviously 1000 times cooler!

I did that with a group of fifth graders. The funniest thing was that it took so long to walk to Neptune that I think they started forgetting why we were walking.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That video is great.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool but, at 4:06 he states that Neptune is the "edge of the solar system".

That statement is just plain false. The heliosphere (the true extent of the solar system) extends far beyond even the kuiper belt, where Pluto resides, and that is another 50AU beyond Neptune.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_p...nce/Heliosphere.html

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Pretty cool but, at 4:06 he states that Neptune is the "edge of the solar system".

That statement is just plain false. The heliosphere (the true extent of the solar system) extends far beyond even the kuiper belt, where Pluto resides, and that is another 50AU beyond Neptune.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_p...nce/Heliosphere.html

Thank you

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post