well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oh those crazy algorithms!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh those crazy algorithms!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Yesterday I bought four refrigerator water filters on line. Four will be enough to last nearly forever but the price was good so I bought the package deal. I may never buy another filter for this refrigerator again.

Today my feeds are plastered with ads for water filters. I don't need any water filters. Idiots.

Weirder one. I went on a service call in another town yesterday. I passed by a Mexican meat market (Carniceria) on the way and made a mental note to stop in on the way back to see if they had something good to do on the smoker this weekend. I did not say anything out loud. I haven't been in that market for some 20 years.

After I finished the job and started the truck the phone lit up, telling me how far away that market is and how long it will take to get there. Eeker

The only thing I can think of is that I went to another meat market in another town about two weeks ago and somebody has decided I like shopping at meat markets.

God forbid I get a service call at a mortuary.

[edit] And just now, having posted on this board (this board!) about flight costs from LAX-CLE I am getting a lot of ads for booking services. Cool

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
That meat market thing is curious.
Apple/iOS or Android phone?
Who's your cellular service provider?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12681 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
iOS AT&T.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Skeptical

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'll give you a better example. Yesterday, Mary Anna and I went into a furniture store. That was it. We walked inside. We didn't do any online searching, we didn't research furniture. We just walked into a store.

We did look up the directions to the store, but Mary Anna did that on her phone.

While in the store, I opened Facebook on my phone. The first set of ads?

Furniture.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it more, the oddest thing about the phone message is that it came up when I started the engine, not when I started moving.

Does the tracker synch on the sound of the starter, the sound of the engine or the phone synching Bluetooth with the truck radio?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That one I’m fairly used to. The phone knows you are in a furniture store.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Piling on. I just looked at Facebook Marketplace for the first time. I am interested in everything they show. Prices not so much but the algorithm has learned my taste.

Crazy.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
NY Times article on bluetooth beacons in stores

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13778 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
NY Times article on bluetooth beacons in stores

Brave New World!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Another reason not to buy a phone. From here, I can see how we are tracked...heck we are wide open on the web

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
As to Steve’s original comment, I know we’re being tracked. By can’t they fix the stupid algorithm so that they stop showing us ads for things we’ve already bought!! VeryAngry

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I'll give you a better example. Yesterday, Mary Anna and I went into a furniture store. That was it. We walked inside. We didn't do any online searching, we didn't research furniture. We just walked into a store.

We did look up the directions to the store, but Mary Anna did that on her phone.

While in the store, I opened Facebook on my phone. The first set of ads?

Furniture.

Turn off your location services for FB. I opened FB while at an oncology clinic with a friend. Suddenly I started getting lymphedema accessories ads. I was so mad. Checked my settings...buh-bye.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post