well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mom has lung cancer...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mom has lung cancer...
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron I don't have any words of wisdom (I'm not sure any exist when cancer rears its ugly head) but you and your mother and family are in my prayers. I'm glad to hear she has a doc she feels good about, that's so important!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
My brothers are in town for discussions and support. I told my older brother when he came in earlier this week, that I was handing the baton over to him while he is here. Other family members are planning visits over the next month or so. No real guesses as to how quickly she will change.

She has long-term care coverage and we are hoping to at least get some early planning done to switch from one living mode to another as she changes.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer is really foul. Its good to know she's given thought to what she wants.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
As all have said, I am so sorry to hear your sad news.

But at the same time I so admire your Mom for taking charge in her care. My aunt was 80 when diagnosed with a large tumor in her colon. She decided to just go home and enjoy her time with family.

May your mother's days be filled with love and laughter with honor to a life well lived.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So....

The "tumor team" had a meeting this morning. Mom met with the pulmonologist yesterday. First time I heard the term remission used when talking about mesothelioma. The team is recommending a surgery that can possibly make mom more comfortable moving forward. It is serious stuff, - pleurectomy, removing the lining from the lung. In her case, that seems to be the only location of the tumors.

So in one day, her options went from "make me comfortable" to "this can potentially double your life expectancy"

She has some thinking to do - if she opts for surgery, it would be in early March.

Buckle up, we are in for a rough ride...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Mom is in surgery today. 5-7 hours, then a week or so in the hospital to recover.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Hoping for the best!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mr WTG and I will be pulling for her from here!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Mom-RT!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Wishing you all all the best.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10557 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. Sending many healing thoughts towards a successful surgery and a swift recovery.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
In our thoughts. We're pulling for you, Mom-RT.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
You and your mother are in my thoughts Ron! As others said above, best wishes for a successful surgery and swift healing!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wishing your Mom resistence to this foe, strength through this ordeal and healing on the Other Side of the surgery.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Thinking of you both...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post