well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adulting Classes for Milennials
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adulting Classes for Milennials
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
A long while back, I was taking a class with a guy who was recently divorced. He told me of buying some pork chops which he had for about a week before he cooked them for about 8 minutes and then ate them. It didn't go well.

He had never boiled water. Someone had always taken care of him - and though he was 40, he knew nothing of self preservation.

I started sharing tips that college students learn. Canned ravioli, frozen pot pies, frozen dinners, etc. He was taking notes - very, detailed notes of things of instructions that were as simple as "open can, put ravioli in microwave safe bowl with a lid, and microwave for 2 minutes 30 seconds." I think I may have saved a life that day.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Now that millennials are entering their 40s they may have to find a new schtick. The old one is getting - old.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
If they truly don't know how to do these things, perhaps we shouldn't see them as the ones who failed. Their parents had ample opportunity to teach them survival skills.

I find my children's cooking quite tasty. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Now that millennials are entering their 40s they may have to find a new schtick. The old one is getting - old.

I'm not sure. There's Boomers, x (myself), y, and z, supposedly. I'm not even sure who the "millennials" really are in fact. To some extent, at least to me, it's a mind of media code meaning "young adults", 18+, college age, and a few years older. It seems to me we have millennials, the middle aged, maybe 50+, and the "old." We've talked about this before here but I don't see how this way of viewing generations can be right. I freely admit I say this as someone with no children though.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
We gave them smartphones and the Internet.
That should be enough for them to learn whatever they need to learn.
OK, throw in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as a safeguard.
We have done our part.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I'm a Boomer, and there's stuff I somehow never got taught, most significantly, financial literacy. I mean, I get by, know the value of earning money and saving it, but know almost zero about investment.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
"milennials are defined as those born between 1981 and 1996.

Current ages would be 39 - 24

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
We gave them smartphones and the Internet.
That should be enough for them to learn whatever they need to learn.
OK, throw in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as a safeguard.
We have done our part.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
A long while back, I was taking a class with a guy who was recently divorced. He told me of buying some pork chops which he had for about a week before he cooked them for about 8 minutes and then ate them. It didn't go well.

He had never boiled water. Someone had always taken care of him - and though he was 40, he knew nothing of self preservation.

I started sharing tips that college students learn. Canned ravioli, frozen pot pies, frozen dinners, etc. He was taking notes - very, detailed notes of things of instructions that were as simple as "open can, put ravioli in microwave safe bowl with a lid, and microwave for 2 minutes 30 seconds." I think I may have saved a life that day.

ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I was taught negotiation, aka haggling. It does not suit my nature or it could have been my career.
I think it was passed down my father's family for generations. My grandfather, my father, and one of his sisters were very good at it.
I do it well enough that I avoid paying retail frequently.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It doesn't surprise me. I wonder how many of the millennials never saw their parents cooking dinner (microwaving doesn't count), doing their own laundry or cleaning their own houses. This is, imo, a byproduct of having two working parents. What can be hired out gets hired out.

And I'm not saying that a two-parent working household is against god or nature or anything like that. It's just that there are only so many hours in a day. I remember sitting down with both kids when they moved out and giving them lessons on things that had slipped through the cracks. In our house, that was mainly house cleaning. Big Grin

Both kids can cook. My son is particularly good at it. My daughter can feed herself a meal that involves more than cans, a microwave or a telephone. But they saw me cooking, and were "volunteers" in the kitchen at dinnertime. They did their own laundry since they could haul it to the machine and get it out again. But housecleaning? Meh, my view was to just blast through it one afternoon when no one was around and I could get it over quickly. When I worked FT, we had a cleaning service. Kids were expected to pick up their carp.

A lot of this millennial grumbling is annoying. Can I make a pie shell, can veggies, or tune up my car? Nope, and I suspect my parents thought I was going to never survive without those skills. Things change. And get off my lawn.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
A lot of this millennial grumbling is annoying. Can I make a pie shell, can veggies, or tune up my car? Nope, and I suspect my parents thought I was going to never survive without those skills. Things change. And get off my lawn.

Word.

And also, if something was important to them and I didn't teach it, they learned how after they got out on their own. In fact, Muffin's Sister took the I-want-to-know-how-to-make-a-piecrust to an extreme level. Muffin's Brother has turned out to be far, far handier with tools and home improvement stuff than his parents and step-parents. Muffin morphed from suburban kid into street-wise citydweller within about ten minutes, abandoning the car-driving I taught her to do and navigating public transportation like a New York native.

The real key to adulting, and I think it's unfair to judge an entire generation's ability to do it, is having the resilience and competence to notice that one doesn't know how to do something and to then go find out how.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I'm a Boomer, and there's stuff I somehow never got taught, most significantly, financial literacy. I mean, I get by, know the value of earning money and saving it, but know almost zero about investment.

We might be opposites. I would say handling financial matters is my only adult trait. Most of the rest of my current life would fit well with an emotionally stunted college kid…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post