well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Random musings.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random musings.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I need to stop buying Braunschweiger. Every time I do I eat it all in one sitting.

Ditto Smokehouse Almonds.

Have not touched Braunschweiger in years. What is a good brand?

Had some Smokehouse Almonds today. It was after lunch so I managed not to eat them all.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to stop buying Braunschweiger. Every time I do I eat it all in one sitting.

Isn't that stuff good? I won’t let myself have it because it’s like eating a big hunk of cholesterol. Loved it as a kid even.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A slice of Oscar Mayer braunschweiger on bread with a little butter. That was the lunch that Mom packed for me most days when I was in grade school (no cafeteria option at my Catholic grade school).

Now I eat the Trader Joe's Truffle Mousse Pate with butter on a ciabatta.

I have Grandpa's low cholesterol.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
A slice of Oscar Mayer braunschweiger on bread with a little butter. That was the lunch that Mom packed for me most days when I was in grade school (no cafeteria option at my Catholic grade school).

We called braunschweiger "pate" when I was a student.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It is pate. So is meatloaf.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:

Have not touched Braunschweiger in years. What is a good brand?
Im a Farmer John man, myself. Especially good with canned mandarin orange slices like Mom used to serve.

Also stands up well to horseradish.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:

We called braunschweiger "pate" when I was a student.

All depends on whether you're hanging out with Germans or Frenchpeoples.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This seems like a candidate for a pinned thread.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

I propose a blind face off between Farmer John braunschweiger and Trader Joe’s foo foo pate.

I might have to set it up myself.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
It is pate. So is meatloaf.

I was reading this thread to Mr wtg and he reminded me of the Christmas that his mom forgot to buy whatever liver pate she usually used in Beef Wellington. Or maybe she used to make chopped liver, don’t recall exactly.

She decided to substitute Braunschweiger that was in the frig (no stores open on Christmas)

It was creative, but ultimately a really bad decision. The braunschweiger just kinda melted.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Farmer John braunschweiger and Trader Joe’s foo foo pate.

And from WTG "Frenchpeoples"

This could be the start of something very profound. (but I have my doubts)

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My mother used to make really good “chopped liver” which was more or less pate. Chicken livers, onion, and I don’t know what else. I may have her recipe around somewhere because it was her contribution to a community cookbook.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Might want to have your cardiologist on speed dial.

But it's so worth it.

From the New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins (the Silver Palate team)

Berta's Chopped Liver

1 pound chicken livers
1/4 cup rendered chicken fat (aka schmaltz, the essential ingredient in this dish)
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 hard-cooked egg, coarsely shopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Clean the chicken livers well. Bring a medium size saucepan of water to a boil, and add the livers. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve.

2. Heat the chicken fat in a medium-size skillet. Add the onions and cook until wilted and lightly browned, 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.

3. Cut the chicken livers into small pieces and place them in a bowl. Add the onions and chicken fat, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix well.

4. Place the mixture in a food processor and pulse until it is almost smooth. Do not overprocess, as it should have a bit of texture. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate, covered. (This can be made a day ahead.) Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving

Makes 2 cups.

Note: Chopped liver freezes well. Defrost it in the refrigerator one day before serving.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Like I said, a big hunk of cholesterol.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the saturated fat!

(BTW, seems that dietary cholesterol isn't being viewed as the villain as much as it was in years past....)

Bazootiehead-in-training