well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Random musings.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random musings.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
How much fun would be if the chefs on Chopped had to use both an Instant Pot and an air fryer? Crock pot?

How likely is it that the Trump war will migrate to US soil? Would you stay in a Trump property today?

Dallas the giant puppy can no longer negotiate the dog door. He can go out but for some reason he can’t get back in. He goes out at 3 AM and barks until someone gets up and lets him in. I’m not sure how to deal with this. I suspect the neighbors hate us.

I tasted the pepper in the pepper shaker and it has no flavor. Obviously I should change it from time to time. Does anyone do this?

Is there a better way to select a pillow than pressing it up against your head at Home Goods?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pepper - we use peppercorns in a pepper mill.

Pillow selection - anxiously awaiting an answer.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Tv commercial says Whole Foods produce is now competitive on the basis of price.

Is this worth looking at?

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Yes to Whole Foods . When they have produce or meat on sale, it’s usually a great deal.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I like Whole Foods meat and produce a lot, but have not been shopping there due to prices. I'll have to take a look.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
You might look for a Consumer Reports review of pillows. Different people have very different criteria and requirements for what they want out of a pillow. Do you sleep on your side? Your back? Do you sleep "hot" or "cool"? Ikea has a variety of pillows and recommendations on what kind you should get based on your sleeping habits.

I stopped shopping at Whole Foods because of the general attitude of the employees and the other shoppers. It was simply not a pleasant place to be. I found the pricing to be deceptive (fish priced per six ounces, not a pound?). And when I bought four chicken breasts that rang up at nearly $1000 and the cashier didn't bat an eyelash, I knew it was time to leave for good. That was before the Amazon takeover. Now I will not shop there because I prefer not to patronize any part of Amazon that I can avoid.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ok, so we stopped by Whole Foods this afternoon on our wanderings.

The produce is lower than it used to be. Not sure I’d call it competitive yet.

Meats were very good, but still a bit above normal. I don’t mind that because I know more about where they came from and how they were raised. We got lamb shanks, lamb burgers, a tritip and some chicken thighs.

Seafood was a bit pricy still, but with sales the items were competitive. Sockeye salmon tonight.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I suspect you are correct about your neighbors. Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We don't eat a ton of meat, and almost never eat red meat at all. That said, I've used that as a justification to pay a premium for organic, locally raised stuff. I've certainly purchased the gigantic vat of frozen chicken breasts from Costco when our kids were at home, so I hope I don't come across as sanctimonious. I just figure that we can now take advantage of our current situation by supporting local organic farming/ranching.

And it does taste much better. Smiler

Side note: I've been to Whole Foods only a handful of times. It's true that they have gorgeous produce, and all sorts of cool and interesting stuff on the shelves. But I don't see how people can do their regular shopping there. I feel the same way about Trader Joe's--simply haven't found enough there to justify a special trip. (Hearing the gasps around me as I type that.) I also can't stand going grocery shopping, so that most definitely plays a part. The last thing I want to do is go to multiple stores every week to do my shopping.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Steve, switch to a pepper mill and whole peppercorns. Huge difference. But get a GOOD pepper mill; some you have to turn forever of a small amount of ground.

I would never stay at a Trump property...but be careful because they are aware; they've changed the name but not the ownership.

We don't have a Whole Foods nearby. There's a Trader Joe's but beyond produce, it's mostly their specialty branded products (sauces and nonessential items). Fun now and then though.

Our local independent health food store has prepared foods which they make there; you can eat there or take out, from a steam table. All organic and vegan, and very good. Only $7.99 a pound; I've seen the same at a Whole Foods in L.A. for 10 or 11 a pound. Pretty fine deal.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We have a wonderful locally owned non-profit supermarket that is what Whole Foods should have been but never achieved. It started as a bulk foods coop a church opened in the early 1980s, and is now a magnificent food emporium.

https://www.goodfoodstore.com/Home/Default.aspx

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There is a guy in Texas who puts fresh pear slices on his smoked brisket sandwiches.

Buying pears tomorrow, and maybe an apple.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Quirt does the lion's share of our shopping. He is a big fan of Trader Joe's and, to a lesser extent, Whole Foods. He'll make the half-hour drive to OKC and hit the shopping-lover's trifecta: TJ's, WF, and Costco.

My packaged food downfall is Coca-Cola, and it's available everywhere. Convenience food-wise, my tastes are similarly plebeian, of the Campbell's soup variety.

When life is going smoothly enough that I cook, I get a large portion of my diet from the bag of produce and eggs from my CSA membership and from my garden, plus meat that is in the freezer because he bought it at one of the OKC trifecta establishments or I snagged it at the local grocery store. And butter and cream and cheese from wherever.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I like Whole Foods meat and produce a lot, but have not been shopping there due to prices. I'll have to take a look.

Some of their sales depend on you being a Prime member.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
So I discovered. Luckily, I am, but I still don't love the idea.