well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Random musings.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random musings.
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The stores here are starting to sell seedless navel oranges from the USA again. It's early, but they're still better than the ones shipped from elsewhere.

But why do none of them taste nearly as good as the ones I had as a kid? And should I be offended that the closest ones to my childhood taste memory are being marketed as "heirloom" oranges?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I had a navel orange a couple days ago. Not sure where it was from, other than "USA". It was tough and somewhere between sour and bitter.

I did nom a whole bag of Cuties over the past week, though. Most were pretty good. I hope Costco gets them back in instead of the other brand they've had the last few months.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
You know that feeling when you wake up after a full night's sleep feeling completely rested and ready to tackle the day?

Nope, neither do I.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Wait until you can get the California navels. By far the best.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Last year we tried the Sky Harvest heirloom oranges but I haven't seen them at Trader Joe's this year.

A friend recommended Cara Cara oranges and I bought a couple to try. They were really good, so I bought an 8 lb bag at Costco.

edit: http://www.ceceliapack.com/caracara.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Wait until you can get the California navels. By far the best.

Heathen! The best oranges are from Arizona, since they almost never get a hard freeze. But the orchards are dwindling to the point of nothingness. As a kid, the scent of orange blossoms would fill the air at certain times of the year.

And if I'm being honest, the best oranges I've had were from my own backyard. There are so many mature orange trees in certain parts of town that people bag them up and just leave them at the street for people to just pick up. It slays me to pay $2/lb for them here.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just got a shipment of Honeybells from Florida yesterday - a gift from a family member.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My naval orange had hardly any fruit this year and the blood orange tree none at all. The lemon and lime did fine and the tangerine OK.

Odd.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So no rats in the Meyer lemon this year?

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, it's 10:30. On the web site for the building cafeteria, they already have the menu for next week, so I have no idea what's for lunch today so I can't decide whether to go out for lunch.

Sheesh.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What's up with all the cauliflower products? Do they think people who are on low carb diets are going to be fooled into thinking they are eating rice? Or mashed potatoes?

Shrug

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
My naval orange had hardly any fruit this year and the blood orange tree none at all. The lemon and lime did fine and the tangerine OK.

Odd.

I agree. How old is your naval orange?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I think the Coast Guard paints their boats naval orange.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Odd.

I agree. How old is your naval orange?

About 30 years. All of the trees were planted at the same time.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I need to stop buying Braunschweiger. Every time I do I eat it all in one sitting.

Ditto Smokehouse Almonds.