well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question for air fryer peeps
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for air fryer peeps
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
So Costco has the Ninja Foodi 9-in-1 digital air fryer oven on sale.

https://www.costco.com/ninja-f...oduct.100735741.html

I know there are air fryer baskets but other designs are combo ovens that can toast, bake, broil, air fry, and dehydrate....the Ninja looks like a big toaster oven rather than one of those basket type "air fryer only" designs, so I guess my question is directed to people who have the oven design, regardless of manufacturer.

One thing that I'm wondering about....for those folks who use the air fryer function, how hard is it to clean the inside of the unit? Does stuff bake on and become impossible to remove?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
We use ours almost daily. Our is less than a year old. And yes, there is some permanent discoloration over time - of the inside of the unit and on the removeable tray and grills. That happens with microwaves and toaster ovens so I don't know how big a deal it is. We do religiously wipe out the unit after ever use and wash the inserts as rigorously as possible - but it still happens. From the outside, it still sparkles as wonderful as the day it was put on the counter.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What Kluurs said. ^^^

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Same here (combination unit). The basket gets a little grungy ... soak it (I use Bar Keeper's Friend, which is a mild acidic as part of the soak) and scrub it and it's fine. The bottom tray gets grungy, too ... that can be removed and cleaned with oven cleaner.

I love the air fryer. I use it several times a week.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wanna to try something a little crazy? Drop a little steak into the air fryer.

It’s magic!

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Go on....?

How do you do steak in the air fryer? I've done chicken and it's turned out pretty good.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Season steak. Lay it on the grid (I have the toaster oven looking kind). 400 degrees, about 6 minutes per side. (130 degrees ~ med rare). More time or less depending on how thick the steak is.

I thought it would make a mess of the oven but it didn't.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m so jealous. There is absolutely no room in my kitchen for an air fryer.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Ditch the toaster oven. Same footprint, more functions.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here...I don't even have a microwave..I worry it will overtake the 100 amp service I have... Razzer

But I have to say, I have learned to live without....and I like it. Just sayin'..Less is more...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
We have a Cuisinart convection toaster oven that we bought at Costco many years ago. It is just now starting to act up - like the electronic control panel has started making a subtle buzzing noise even when not being used, so I've taken to unplugging it except when I am actually using it.

I do love my toaster oven and it gets a lot of use for both toasting and reheating/baking. The Foodi looks like it might make a good replacement but I am concerned about the size of it...my current oven is large but this is a few inches larger and I can't take advantage of the flip up feature because I don't have enough clearance under the cabinets. I'm also wondering if it will really be any different than a convection toaster oven -- isn't the convection bake basically like an air fryer?

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of getting it just to see, as the sale ends soon and Costco makes it easy to return things if I end up hating it.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I hear you re kitchen doodads. I'm not a fan of having a lot of specialized equipment, but I was willing to make the exception for the air fryer. In my case, it's so much nicer to use that when heating up things like casseroles, cooking fish, etc., rather than firing up the ginormous oven for just the two of us.

Re: fish--it's really great for cooking fish. It won't sear, but you can get a nice brown, no spatter (which happens to me when I sear fish), clean up is easy and much less "fishy" smell.

I really like mine.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From what I just looked up, it seems that a convection oven and air fryer are pretty much the same thing.

We don't like clutter on the counter. The microwave is on a separate shelf and the only other things on the counter are the knife block and a couple of low wide bowls for fruits and veggies. The Kitchen Aid Mixer, food processor, and Instant Pot are all in cabinets and get schlepped out when needed.
We have plenty of space for a countertop oven thingy but even with the flip-up feature, the Ninja is still a big box on the counter. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to justify the clutter.

edit: hmmm....Nina's observations have me reconsidering....

I think if you have and use a countertop oven, the Ninja is a reasonable alternative. We had a garden variety toaster oven years ago but when it died we just replaced it with a toaster because that's pretty much all we were using the oven for. But these new units have more features and are more robust.

I was actually looking for a convection/microwave combo to replace our microwave when it goes. It would be the same footprint as our microwave, on a shelf and off the counter. But those things are bloody expensive, almost as much as my built-in oven.

As for the Ninja vs others, a few things to consider...

The Ninja seems to be able to accommodate a 12" pizza. This is a must have for me.

Some reviews I read said that it's not very tall inside and they wanted to cook casseroles, and it really was too small. I imagine this is a tradeoff for the flip up feature.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Ditch the toaster oven. Same footprint, more functions.

Bingo.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post