well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cincinnati Union Terminal

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cincinnati Union Terminal
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
I'd posted previously on the restoration of this building. This story that showed up in a newsletter I receive has a lot more details and some excellent pictures of the restored station.

I might have to go visit Mik's area sometime to see it for myself.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous building. Thanks for posting the story.

quote:
I might have to go visit Mik's area sometime to see it for myself.

Piano party! Wink

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Magnificent! Perhaps you could visit as a part of a train tour through Ohio.

Have you heard of the The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad up closer to Cleveland? They run tours like wine tasting trains through Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Pretty scenery, interesting old train and staffed by passionate hobbyists.

It follows the route of the now-defunct Ohio and Erie canal, which is fitting because the arrival of the train is what put it out of business. You can still see a lot of the canal infrastructure along the route.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Big Al, wow those pics are gorgeous!!

Steve Miller, I love taking the train, that looks really neat!

/okbacktowork :P

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The sheer scale of that facade had me swooning. Such grand proportion and righteous accents. Glorious!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Magnificent! Perhaps you could visit as a part of a train tour through Ohio.

Have you heard of the The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad up closer to Cleveland? They run tours like wine tasting trains through Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Pretty scenery, interesting old train and staffed by passionate hobbyists.

It follows the route of the now-defunct Ohio and Erie canal, which is fitting because the arrival of the train is what put it out of business. You can still see a lot of the canal infrastructure along the route.
A friend of mine just went on that trip They were stranded on the hot train for several hours when it broke down.

And yeah, Union Terminal is an incredible building.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
A friend of mine just went on that trip They were stranded on the hot train for several hours when it broke down.

That's a shame. We've been on it twice and it's a nice ride when things go right.

They have a Polar Express version they run at Christmas and we may try that next time we are there.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Bundle up!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post