well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Yard Sale Encounter

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yard Sale Encounter
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I drove to Maine today to take in a museum exhibit I had on my list.

While I walked along the main street, a homeowner was setting up a YARD SALE sign in front of a stately historic home..hmm..I figured I would swing back after the exhibit.

I did just that and found a hodge podge of items, some from what looked like a former business.

But I did find a nearly new spinning wheel and a coworker of mine has been on the lookout for a bargain after I taught her to spin..Her budget is freakeshly low and I told her so...

So as I was looking at the wheel, the homeowner aproached and asked if I knew what it was, "yes", did I spin? "OH, yes"...I was at the garage sale looking for pots for an upcoming dye day we have planned in August.

So I asked what he wanted for it...He spoke a bit..I remained silent. (I learned this negotiation technique in my divorce..silence works wonders Evil )

He said "I suppose $(freakishly low price) would be too much for you?" Ahaha! (in my head HELL NO!) I bought it on the spot..

But then we chatted, he gave me a tour of his property that is for sale, though he wants to section off some to sell to the town for community gardens, we talked food access, farmers markets...He was charming.

He told me is name.. Tom..He is from Maine. Yes

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I learned this negotiation technique in my divorce..silence works wonders

Definitely need to remember this one!! Wonder if it works when buying a car....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
From Real Estate class a long time ago:

“The first person to name a price - loses.”

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
He told me is name.. Tom..He is from Maine.

Did he make toothpaste for a living?

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
He told me is name.. Tom..He is from Maine.

Did he make toothpaste for a living?

The wool included with the wheel was rather a turquoise color.

I had heard his daughter make a comment..but was busy..on the ride home while rethinking it I put two and two together and googled him.

Yes. What a charming man. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just to add the artist's latest work for which I made the trip.... a video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGKyCmwRjlM

And this..I am in awe of her..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrRK0WPnjVw

MillCityGrows.org

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent story!

And congrats on the wheel for your friend.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Great score!

I also encourage that technique when discussing salary offers. Don’t make a peep. Look at the number with a trace of mild disappointment on your face, then a few seconds after the air of uncomfortability starts to descend, you say “is that the best you can do?”

Of course, most salary offers come by email these days, so this is a lost art.

For garage sales or Craigslist ads, I politely ask “would you consider x?”, but make it the low end of reasonable.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid had I been in your shoes I would have said something stupid like, "I use your toothpaste when it's on sale...". You did much better.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm afraid had I been in your shoes I would have said something stupid like, "I use your toothpaste when it's on sale...". You did much better.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Greg was in to paintball for several years. He would buy and sell the gear and did well enough that he could prove to me that my insistence that he get a job would cost him money. Smiler

Does K. Hovnenian build houses all over the country? They do here, and they were a big deal in CA. I went with Greg to buy some paintball stuff and ended up at K’s house -seems he and his son liked paintball too. Palatial mansion on the coast, gate guarded, the whole deal.

K. answered the door wearing a bathrobe and invited us in to see the collection. I was shocked - everything was obviously expensive but it looked like someone had picked that house up and shook it. Total chaos. Seems the divorce had left him somewhat disorganized.

Nice guy, drove a hard bargain but Greg held his ground and bought quite a few things. I kept my mouth shut, having no idea if what any of it was.

Later we looked at a Hovnenian house here in Ohio and I told the sales guy we were old paintball buds and I expected a deal. He said he’d make a few calls and get back to me.

I never heard back from him. Cool

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
OMG, retelling this story in person today as I delivered the wheel was the BEST!!! The look on her face for the wheel AND from whom I bought it!
Big Grin

He had asked for my contact info and when I gave it he said my surname is in his family.

I sent his bio to my Mom and turns out some of the historical references noted also connected to my Mom's grand mother..so there may be some genealogial links as well!

Does that mean I inherit? Ole

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

ROTFLMAO I suppose it was a good thing I didn't realize who he was till I left!

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post