well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    This is the moment when the quarantine went too far
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is the moment when the quarantine went too far
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I know.

I don't feel doomed. I *am* being exceptionally careful.

I'm not worried so much about myself, but my husband. He's undergoing immunotherapy treatments and cannot afford to get sick.

I've said my bit and am done here.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that definitely tilts the table.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm keeping my distance; other people aren't.

And when I hear the mocking of someone trying to prevent droplets from spreading by protecting their mouth, I feel that there isn't a clear understanding of how easy it is to transmit.

This.

Cindy, I rarely disagree with your ideas, but I am really surprised at your reaction on this topic. Go over to Italy and ask them what they think you should do. That has been my answer to any questions for a while now. What would someone in Italy tell me to do in this situation? Because you can bet that most Italians would give anything to go back 2-3 weeks in time and drastically curtail their activities. And they would do it gladly, if they only could. We need to be doing just that, drastically curtailing our activities while we still have the chance.

Anyone who is serious about flattening the curve should be willing to sacrifice some -- no, all -- of their out-of-the-house activities. Anything that is not absolutely necessary needs to be canceled. Your bootcamp fits that, even more so because you could do it on your own, if you would only make the choice to do it.

People outside can't seem to stay away from each other. There are studies showing that 6 feet isn't enough. There are studies showing that droplets can linger in the air a lot longer than we thought. Yes, maybe the canceling of the outdoor bootcamp meeting was an overreaction, but we need all the overreactions we can get if we're going to help reduce the spread and rate of infection.

We (i.e. medical science) don't know enough about this disease and how it's transmitted. So there's only one logical response:

Stay home. Go above and beyond to stay far away from other people when you do go out.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
At great risk of hearing what I don't want to hear, I'd like everyone 's opinion on a decision I have to make today.

I've been in effective quarantine for 11 weeks, since I got my knee replaced in January. Haven't been at physical therapy or in a store for a couple of weeks. Have taken some walks, but its easy to be outdoors here and not close to others. Many times i don't even see other people. Mr Pique started working from home a couple of days ago and my PT is now done online through a patient portal.

I've worked hard to get my fitness and function back so i can return to riding. My horse and I have spent daily sessions together for a few weeks now, reestablishing our bond. My connection to her is a big part of my life. And an important part of my mental health. I'm so lucky I can go out the door and hang out in my very own barn.

Tomorrow is my first riding lesson in 3 months. It's held in an unheated indoor arena. My teacher is the only other person in the arena, usually. It's a private lesson. The arena is at a private barn, and the owner of the property is more cognizant than most of covid19--her day job is as a state FEMA director. I haven't asked what precautions they are taking or how exposed my teacher is from her other students. It's a 45 minute drive one way and I usually need to use the bathroom when I get there and again before I leave.

Obviously I am anxious to return to what has been a huge and important part of my life. Seeing this teacher once a week is like having a weekly session with Socrates. I treasure these lessons. How can I make sure I'm doing this responsibly? Should I postpone?

Other than this, I have canceled everything else.

There are boarders there. My horse will mostly be ridden by my teacher as I am still not fully functional. My horse is also out of shape, so this is important for her as well.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Bathrooms are a particularly bad vector, according to what I've read. Apparently, the virus can spread through defecation and aerosolize. Not that that's what you want to hear, on many levels ....

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Bathrooms are a particularly bad vector, according to what I've read. Apparently, the virus can spread through defecation and aerosolize. Not that that's what you want to hear, on many levels ....

Hm. I could arm myself with a spray can of lysol, open the door and pre-fog the bathroom before entering.

Then I have to go into a store to find a spray can of Lysol.

Maybe I just find myself one of those lady funnels and use an empty milk jug. Or what I do at trailheads--pee inside the horse trailer.

Could be a little awkward doing that in someone's driveway. I could use a bucket in the trailer's tack room/dressing room, too.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have no good answers. Certainly not any based on facts and data. My gut feeling would be: get or make a face mask, wash your hands when you arrive and before and after using the potty, don't touch your face (for me the absolute hardest), and bring some disinfecting wipes or a rag and some bleach to wipe down the potty before and after you use it.

I am in complete agreement that it would be good for both you and your horse's mental and physical well-being.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I'm keeping my distance; other people aren't.

And when I hear the mocking of someone trying to prevent droplets from spreading by protecting their mouth, I feel that there isn't a clear understanding of how easy it is to transmit.

This.

Cindy, I rarely disagree with your ideas, but I am really surprised at your reaction on this topic. Go over to Italy and ask them what they think you should do. That has been my answer to any questions for a while now. What would someone in Italy tell me to do in this situation? Because you can bet that most Italians would give anything to go back 2-3 weeks in time and drastically curtail their activities. And they would do it gladly, if they only could. We need to be doing just that, drastically curtailing our activities while we still have the chance.

Anyone who is serious about flattening the curve should be willing to sacrifice some -- no, all -- of their out-of-the-house activities. Anything that is not absolutely necessary needs to be canceled. Your bootcamp fits that, even more so because you could do it on your own, if you would only make the choice to do it.

People outside can't seem to stay away from each other. There are studies showing that 6 feet isn't enough. There are studies showing that droplets can linger in the air a lot longer than we thought. Yes, maybe the canceling of the outdoor bootcamp meeting was an overreaction, but we need all the overreactions we can get if we're going to help reduce the spread and rate of infection.

We (i.e. medical science) don't know enough about this disease and how it's transmitted. So there's only one logical response:

Stay home. Go above and beyond to stay far away from other people when you do go out.

There are a lot of people playing the role of self-appointed Amateur Surgeon General, and it is getting annoying.

If someone is doing what the authorities in their area should be doing, it is not for someone else to say they are doing the wrong thing.

I know a lot of you are afraid for whatever reason, and I guess that is your choice. When you start imposing your anxiety on others **when they are doing what the authorities allow and recommend** then I feel something needs to be said.

My point in this thread is that those who are over-reacting are the ones creating unnecessary risk. That risk is that there will be a backlash to the idea that folks should listen to them rather than to the public health officials who are telling us all what we should do in our communities. In other words, it is better to do what is recommended (maintain social distance) than go overboard and demand that people stay home such that there is enough pushback that even the sensible quarantine measures are dialed back.

So no, I will not go to Italy and ask them what I should do. I will go with what my public health officials are telling me to do do.

In my area, you can go out if you maintain social distancing. I fully plan to continue going out and maintaining social distance a public health official tells me otherwise. So far that has not happened.

I know some of you have health conditions that cause you genuine concern, and I understand that completely. I also know some of you live in hot spots, so I understand that concern too.

What I plan to do about that is continue my social distancing while going about my business until that recommendation is changed.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
pique, what we're talking about in your specific situation is: you don't want to expose yourself to the virus (I'm assuming you haven't been exposed thus far), and you don't want to bring anything home that would expose Mr. pique. Right?

So, as you may have noticed, I am all about canceling anything that can be canceled, rescheduling or redesigning anything that can be redesigned. So my first reaction is to say, no, don't go. Cancel anything and everything that can be canceled. This falls into that category.

Some concerns include: Is your teacher as conscientious as others are about social distancing? What about the other borders there? How old is your teacher? How old are the other people there? Could they be much younger, and potentially more likely to be asymptomatic carriers? Thinking about the possible answers to these questions, I'm thinking that you don't want to go to this lesson.

Another detail I don't understand relates to the implications for your horse if you don't go. This would be your first lesson in 3 months, right? So your horse has been ok for the last three months, right? Couldn't your horse wait another month or two to resume lessons? You can use this time to continue doing what you've been doing with your horse, while also getting your knee stronger etc.

Stay home. That's my answer.

It sucks. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Pique, the last thing you should be doing is hauling to a riding lesson. Seriously. No only are you risking yourself, but your husband too. if you must go, touch no surfaces at that barn. Take a bucket and fill it in sawdust and used it in your trailer. But the teacher riding your horse part? What if she’s an asymptomatic carrier? She’s just touched your saddle, your reins, your horse.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Our governor just held a press conference: all non-essential business to close statewide, and an order to shelter in place--no non-essential activities. Or in his words, "hunker down." However we are encouraged to continue outdoor recreation, so long as we avoid crowded trailheads.

I consider riding a horse to be outdoor recreation.

90 cases tested positive this afternoon, up from 72 this morning. One person hospitalized. No deaths.

SK I can't be sure i dont have it. The surgeon general said we should all act as if we have it

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And i agree with you, that riding your horse can be is considered outdoor recreation. Is it nice enough to go on a trail ride near you?

Smiler Jodi

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Pique, the last thing you should be doing is hauling to a riding lesson. Seriously. No only are you risking yourself, but your husband too. if you must go, touch no surfaces at that barn. Take a bucket and fill it in sawdust and used it in your trailer.

Jodi, i know you fully understand why i feel compelled. Three months is a very long time, and I want Deva to get tuned up before i start riding her seriously at home (as opposed to just climbing on for a few minutes).

I am thinking at most there will be one or two other people there and it is an open environment. I am always wearing gloves at all times when I'm with my horse.

What may put the kibosh on this is I'm still not sure i have the stamina, post-op, to groom, tack, hitch up, load, haul, unload, longe, ride, focus, then do it all again in reverse. It tires me out even when I'm not post-op.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I just edited my post above - if your teacher rides your horse, she’s transferring whatever she got to your reins, your saddle and your horse.

Yes, I get the lesson part. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my horse life, and my goals that I had set for this year are very much changed because of this - and may never be the same.

Smiler Jodi

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Pique, the last thing you should be doing is hauling to a riding lesson. Seriously. No only are you risking yourself, but your husband too. if you must go, touch no surfaces at that barn. Take a bucket and fill it in sawdust and used it in your trailer. But the teacher riding your horse part? What if she’s an asymptomatic carrier? She’s just touched your saddle, your reins, your horse.

I just wrote a long reply but it vanished. In the barn with poor reception.