well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    This is the moment when the quarantine went too far
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is the moment when the quarantine went too far
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
If that is indeed the Spanish approach, it reflects a very dirigiste and almost authoritarian mindset. It also places lots of power in the hands of often-petty people, which goes along with how weak states often operate. I'm not at all surprised that this is thought useful in a Mediterranean nation (where governments pass lots of useless laws and people routinely ignore the government).

Speaking of Mediterranean nations, I saw a documentary on how the virus traveled from China, where it started, to Milan, Lombardy. Commerce, of course. Italy, Spain (and France) are doing what needs to be done. I say God bless them. It's better than doing fvck all and hoping it goes away.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And this, gentle readers, is why Covid 19 is going to rip through Washington DC like Grant took Richmond.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
One should not NEED to be mandated.

For so many reasons suggested here by others.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Illinois was an early adopter of stay-at-home. Despite the fact that Chicago is a major urban area, our coronavirus numbers and deaths are not skyrocketing.

It works.

quote:
Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Wednesday made an extraordinary threat — to shut down Chicago parks, Millennium Park, the downtown Riverwalk and the entire lakefront — if residents and visitors continue to thumb their noses at the statewide stay-at-home order aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

Lightfoot instructed Chicago police officers to break up large gatherings and threatened to use what she called “every lever at my disposal” to compel compliance.

On Wednesday afternoon and evening, police appeared to be doing just that. Photos surfaced on social media showing barricades along parts of the North Side of the Lakefront Trail. The website Patch posted a video showing officers parking a police SUV across the trail near North Avenue and telling people it was shut down.

City officials wouldn’t say whether those shutdowns were being done as part of a coordinated effort — or whether the closures would remain in effect Thursday. Attempts to clarify the presence Wednesday of barricades and SUVs blocking paths were not answered.

Lightfoot was moved to action by the large gatherings she saw along the lakefront, the crowds at playgrounds and basketball courts and the warm weather luring stir-crazy Chicagoans outside even though they’re supposed to be staying home.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/c...ot-social-distancing

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37681 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Same here. Ohio numbers are going up, but mostly in the Cleveland area where it got started first.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13514 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
One should not NEED to be mandated.

For so many reasons suggested here by others.

Indeed. It appears common sense is anything but common.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13514 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yup. It's the joggers who are spreading the virus. They're going to kill us all.

Joggers should be required to maintain a slow pace lest they exhale too aggressively and walk up hills, preferably backwards.

People are losing their minds. Still shaking my head at the lady in the supermarket yesterday who was walking around holding a manila folder up to her face.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wish you could hear the impassioned pleas from Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Interim Police Superintendent Charlie Beck, and the head of the Cook County Department of Health during today's briefing. They're launching "Stay Home, Save Lives"

The Mayor closed the lakefront and is pleading with people to stay home. The public health people are talking about the stress on the hospital system and how to prevent it from getting to a crisis.

If you've never been in an epidemic situation, even something like norovirus in a nursing home, then it's hard to imagine how quickly a disease can circulate.

Mik's pulmonologist friend isn't some panicky hick who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Please, please, Cindy, don't mock the lady with the manila folder. She is doing what she needs to do to protect herself and anyone around her.

She's not crazy, any more than Cuomo is crazy for taking the steps he is taking. The virus is ravaging NYC's health system. You can find the doctors' videos online.

Not crazier than the government of Italy, which closed down their entire country. Where military trucks are hauling away the dead. Or Spain, where they're using an ice rink as a morgue and where nursing home residents were left uncared for and left to die. Or the Chinese, who quarantined 60 million people as soon as they figured out how bad the virus is.

Please don't turn your back on this. It's not a drill.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37681 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hold on, everyone. Even here in Oregon, where we have a "stay at home" mandate, they acknowledge that people need to get out of their houses. Hiking, walking, jogging is OK as long as you observe social distancing parameters. In other words, if someone wants to go out jogging, just stay far away from someone else.

As for a larger aerosol cloud, just expand your distance accordingly. FWIW (and I don't know why I have this factoid in my brain), when you sneeze droplets can travel as much as 25 feet. So yeah, 6 feet if you're breathing hard is probably not enough. But no way are you breathing as hard as when you sneeze, so what's the distance? Somewhere between 6 and 25 feet. Neener

I don't think that people going out for walks, runs, walking their dog will endanger people's lives if they maintain appropriate distancing. Another fun fact (this one I had to look up): a droplet can travel for up to 10 cm before it dries in the air. That's about 4 inches.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That was the story I told earlier in this thread, Nina. The jogger who came up right behind me, huffing and puffing, and passing me on the sidewalk; she didn't even go on the parkway, much less into the street. She was like 2 feet away from me.

I'm keeping my distance; other people aren't.

And when I hear the mocking of someone trying to prevent droplets from spreading by protecting their mouth, I feel that there isn't a clear understanding of how easy it is to transmit.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Hold on, everyone. Even here in Oregon, where we have a "stay at home" mandate, they acknowledge that people need to get out of their houses. Hiking, walking, jogging is OK as long as you observe social distancing parameters. In other words, if someone wants to go out jogging, just stay far away from someone else.

As for a larger aerosol cloud, just expand your distance accordingly. FWIW (and I don't know why I have this factoid in my brain), when you sneeze droplets can travel as much as 25 feet. So yeah, 6 feet if you're breathing hard is probably not enough. But no way are you breathing as hard as when you sneeze, so what's the distance? Somewhere between 6 and 25 feet. Neener

I don't think that people going out for walks, runs, walking their dog will endanger people's lives if they maintain appropriate distancing. Another fun fact (this one I had to look up): a droplet can travel for up to 10 cm before it dries in the air. That's about 4 inches.

+1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another fun fact (this one I had to look up): a droplet can travel for up to 10 cm before it dries in the air. That's about 4 inches.

There's a question about whether it can be aerosolized. Those particles can stay in the air for up to 3 hours.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
That was the story I told earlier in this thread, Nina. The jogger who came up right behind me, huffing and puffing, and passing me on the sidewalk; she didn't even go on the parkway, much less into the street. She was like 2 feet away from me.

I'm keeping my distance; other people aren't.

That's when a well-timed elbow or trip might be useful. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were right there..."

Evil

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I didn't know she was there until she passed me.

I'm tall, but my leg wasn't long enough to trip her once she was past me.

Evil

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Another fun fact (this one I had to look up): a droplet can travel for up to 10 cm before it dries in the air. That's about 4 inches.

There's a question about whether it can be aerosolized. Those particles can stay in the air for up to 3 hours.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/...-doesnt-mean-doomed/