well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The little changes I've noticed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The little changes I've noticed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Vons today was out of all of the usual things plus something new - frozen and a lot of fresh vegetables.

They're obviously going out of their way to find stock to sell. These are the only carrots they had left - big-o gnarly horse carrots that before today would have been headed to either canners or feed stores.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34837 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I haven't been shopping since last week Thursday. I saw almost no one wearing a mask.

My neighbor said she was out yesterday and most people were wearing masks.

What a difference a week makes.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37769 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I went shopping today for the first time in a good while. I too saw many shoppers wearing masks (amazing how one can recognize friends only by the eyes and other cues).

Dismayed by shop personnel who were NOT wearing masks (two pharmacy's staff among them!). I always asked if they weren't worried. The responses invariably were kind of shrugs, of the que sera sera variety.

I was pleased to learn at Trader Joe's that the staff are NOT under pressure not to wear masks as I read in the New York Times. (Anyone else read that article - about tension on this account, between the owner and underlings?). Also something about their lobbying for unionizing and hazard pay.

I wore the N95 kind of mask I discovered I had a few left from a deck sanding/staining crew I put together years ago (goggles too!). I tried to draw a smile on it with a permanent marker but it didn't work. Frowner

(Just sprayed it down with an antibacterial when I got home - besides washing all the purchases and shopping bags, before my shower.)

Tomorrow another wipedown of all touching surfaces. I feel I am incubating OCD.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I've changed my mind. I want to wear a mask. I don't sew and I don't know where to buy any. I'm working on it.

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The only “out” I’ve been is the pickup window at CVS and the pickup lane at Walmart. I keep alcohol and paper towels in the car. I don’t even roll my window down at Walmart.

If I go into a store, I’ll be wearing a mask. I would have been even before the CDC said so. It seemed pretty f****** obvious to me.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a lot more people out for walks. Lots of couples holding hands. Families seem to be doing more stuff together. Activities at home. Walks in the neighborhood.

Oh, and the new shortage is.....jigsaw puzzles. I noticed the prices had increased substantially and a lot of puzzles were out of stock. Turns out many puzzle factories were either closed or short staffed due to COVID.

Who would have thought it?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37769 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I just swapped 4 jigsaw puzzles with a neighbor via Nextdoor. Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've noticed a lot more people out for walks.

Same in our neighborhood. And until it got so hot, one of those couples was us. But no more, it's way to hot for me.

I have been exercising in the basement (not hot!) but I look forward to fall and being outside more.

Here's a more recent change we've noticed: we are actually seeing more and more people wearing masks and wearing them properly.

May this be a trend that continues!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18319 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Two local Home Depots are out of garden hoses.

Who hoards garden hoses? Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34837 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Drought? End of season? Maybe not so much the second one where you live.... WhoMe

Bazootiehead-in-training