well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The little changes I've noticed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The little changes I've noticed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
1) Went to the grocery store this morning. As always, I used the self-checkout. I loaded up my cart and walked away. As soon as I walked cleared the register, the employee who normally works the self-checkout area came swooping in with disinfecting wipes and wiped down the touch screen, etc.

2) Went to Costco. Store was underpopulated, even for a weekday.

They're not doing food samples for now because of the virus. But they do have the people from the company that normally does the samples (not Costco employees) standing out front, wiping down the handle on a cart, and giving a cleaned cart to each member who walks in. Others were scattered through the store cleaning handles on freezer/frig cases, etc.

Thought that was kinda cool; they are still working and getting paid.

3) We've had a few coronoavirus cases in Chicago, and specifically in my area, though the ones in my area were a week or two ago. All in all, not a hot zone like some others.

I actually need toilet paper and had it on my list to buy. There. Is. None. In. The. Store. I asked a Costco employee when they would be getting it in and she said tomorrow for the Kirkland Sig brand and Friday for Charmin.

What's the view from where you are? Any changes? Business as usual?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Traffic is noticeably lighter on the freeways.

TP is available at the grocery store and also at Home Depot. Grocery store is low on canned beans, of all things.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I went to walmart last night, right after Mr. Jodi came home and we found out he had a fever (I washed my hands, thoroughly disinfected the cart handle before and after, and made sure I touched NOTHING on the shelves except what I was taking. I had gotten most everything I needed a week or so ago, I just stocked up on some fresh items (eggs, veggies, meat, dairy) to carry us through if we needed to stay home. I noticed that the beans and rice shelves were almost empty, as were certain types of canned goods (like chili). (More so than a week ago). I ended up coming home with a container of yogurt that had a “best by” February date. ( Frowner should have checked) Did not go down the toilet paper aisle, but the dried milk was out (it’s been out for awhile). There are empty spots more places than were empty a few weeks ago. Lots of produce, though. I did self checkout and requested that the guy wipe down the place after I left (he did)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yogurt lasts way beyond the expiration date. Like months beyond.

Not that I've ever eaten any.

Leaving

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of running to Costco this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I need veggies and a couple odd things like (don't tell Jon) a can of parmesan cheese.

I'll check on the TP sitch and report back.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I went to walmart last night, right after Mr. Jodi came home and we found out he had a fever (I washed my hands, thoroughly disinfected the cart handle before and after, and made sure I touched NOTHING on the shelves except what I was taking. I had gotten most everything I needed a week or so ago, I just stocked up on some fresh items (eggs, veggies, meat, dairy) to carry us through if we needed to stay home. I noticed that the beans and rice shelves were almost empty, as were certain types of canned goods (like chili). (More so than a week ago). I ended up coming home with a container of yogurt that had a “best by” February date. ( Frowner should have checked) Did not go down the toilet paper aisle, but the dried milk was out (it’s been out for awhile). There are empty spots more places than were empty a few weeks ago. Lots of produce, though. I did self checkout and requested that the guy wipe down the place after I left (he did)

Hope he isn't coming down with it. Hope you also stay well. Let us know...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
/thread drift

Costco is now selling Indian butter chicken. Comes with rice and a little container of yogurt. It's with the other Costco-prepared fresh foods like meatloaf, stuffed peppers, etc.

We're having it for dinner; it's very tasty!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, two Sundays ago, I hit the Costco that is across the street from their headquarters. I had just gotten back in the country after being gone for three weeks and I was relatively oblivious to what was going on. I think the second death had been reported Saturday or Sunday. Both deaths were pretty close by.

As I mentioned, the place looked very picked over. Produce... nearly all gone. Bread... gone. Milk... three cartons left. Regular eggs... gone. I didn't need TP, so I didn't venture back to the back of the store (you know they put it wa-a-a-a-a-ay in the back, the corner farthest from the door for a reason).

I went to the same store this afternoon. It has somewhat returned to normal. Not a lot of tomatoes, but other produce seemed to be in stock. I got my usual Power Greens and cucumbers. Plenty of bread. Plenty of eggs. Plenty of milk. Cheap pasta was dwindling -- they usually have penne and spaghetti. Today, just a few cases of spaghetti. Chili supply was low. Other canned goods seemed to be adequate. But... No TP. Plenty of paper towels (I'm just sayin'). Not a single square of TP for sale.

You'd think at some point, once everyone has a bale or two, they'd stop panic-buying and hoarding. Remember: TP is *not* perishable. Fortunately, we have most of a bale in the closet.

In other news, I was in Ethiopia for a week. The office building, the airport lounge, and the hotel all featured a spray hose next to the potty. People say that once you go bidet, you'll never go back to TP. Or corn cobs. I'm just sayin'.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Saturday I went to the place closest to my home for Breakrast. Got there after 9:30 and had a selection of seats. No 20 minute wait.
Today I went at noon. Several empty seats instead of the usual 1 or two empty tables.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
It is Texas week at the ski resorts. I avoid the resorts when EVERY TEXAN is here.
Reports are that the resorts are very busy.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to regret throwing away the old Sears catalogs. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’m starting to regret throwing away the old Sears catalogs. Cool

Haha

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Went back to Costco for TP today. Plenty there.

Place was crazytown vs yesterday's ghostown, but it's the first day of the sale prices on this month's flyer.

Today's hot commodity was Bounty paper towels, which are bucks off starting today. Yesterday there were pallets and pallets of them lined up where the toilet paper usually is and no one was buying. Today I think I saw a package of paper towels in nearly every cart I saw.

Seems this is an example of Costco bargain hunters rather than people hoarding supplies....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I went to Walgreens today. One pharmacist and two customers (incl me) were wearing masks.

Another customer and I were each paying out of pocket for extra prescriptions beyond the period the insurance company would pay.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post