well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mississippi state flag

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mississippi state flag
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Mississippi state legislature voted on Sunday to replace its state flag, the last in the nation to display the Confederate battle emblem. The removal of the flag marks the latest Confederate symbol to topple in the weeks following George Floyd's death as activists have called for a reexamination of the racism that exists in all corners of society.

The bill passed by a vote of 91-23 in the House and 37-14 in the Senate.

The bill now goes to the desk of Governor Tate Reeves, who on Saturday morning said he would sign the legislation into law, reversing resistance to a legislature-led change to the flag. Mississippians will vote on a replacement flag in the November election. According to the legislation, the current flag design cannot be an option.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m...erate-battle-emblem/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
'Bout time...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
There was a fight about the South Carolina flag years ago.
I thought that was the end of that.
I should not have been surprised at Mississippi. The flag change is long overdue.

Have gone out of my way to avoid Mississippi and Alabama for years.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I find this encouraging. Mississippi is a beautiful place.

The people deserve better politics.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna, you're from Mississippi. Unless I'm having a senior moment. What are your thoughts about this? I'm curious.

Posts: 24645 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
WHY are they considering "In God We Trust"? Isn't it enough we have it on our currency?

Just make a nice graphic design like so many other states. Sheesh.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13778 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
WHY are they considering "In God We Trust"? Isn't it enough we have it on our currency?

Just make a nice graphic design like so many other states. Sheesh.

Trivia- "In God We Trust has been put on American money since 1863. A law passed in 1956 made it a national motto." (Wiki)

Yeah, why? The US is not a theocracy. This being a national motto is pet peeve of mine.

Posts: 24645 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I really like the flag of my adopted state ...

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hey, how 'bout this idea. Mississippi should just return to the flag design they had before 1861 ...

Wink

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Mary Anna, you're from Mississippi. Unless I'm having a senior moment. What are your thoughts about this? I'm curious.

Emotional.

Embarrassed that it has taken so long.

Shocked, happy, even somewhat proud that they were able to pull this off in today's political climate.

Very slightly hopeful, in that the people were strongly in favor of changing it, which is the only thing that forced their elected officials to do the right thing.

Maybe the people are more open-minded on such issues than we think. I believe that they are manipulated by their religious and political leaders to believe things that they were would see were clearly wrong if they thought for themselves. Maybe they will change their minds on other issues and force their leaders to follow. They will always be to the right of everyone here, but that doesn't mean that they are incapable of shedding beliefs that no longer work for them and adopting principled conservative stances.

Lefty Mississippi Twitter has been interesting to watch. There is a progressive publication called the Jackson Free Press that I became more aware of during recent weeks. Rachel Maddow's reporting on the flag issue has credited one of their writers more than once.

Another of their writers, who is of my generation, wrote about doing a call-in show years ago. She described taking a call from someone whose grammar and diction led her to brace herself for a diatribe calling her a godless Commie and worse. Instead, she got a thoughtful comment that ended with this, which pretty much encapsulates what I think about the state flag, the false history of the Lost Cause, racism, and all bigotry:

"We were taught lies. We all were."

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post