well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A soup called Roberto
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A soup called Roberto
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
The recipe looks pretty basic, and tasty!

https://www.newyorker.com/cult...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37673 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I had a soup like that for lunch yesterday. It was fantastic! I wonder if the restaurant got it from the author of the piece?

Interesting that she drains the beans. I usually try to use the bean liquid for more flavor.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34809 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
1. Isn't that basically minestrone without any pasta/noodles in it?
2. Where is the recipe! Big Grin

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
2. Where is the recipe! Big Grin

Here! (a very chatty recipe)

https://tinyletter.com/hels/le...ssue-1-hello-roberto

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37673 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ok, that letter is wonderful! I usually hate long recipes, but it made me laugh out loud, several times.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I made this tonight. O.M.G. It’s fabulous. I couldn’t find hot italian chicken sausage, so I bought hot Italian pork and cooked it up first and drained the grease. I used garbanzo beans. I did it in the instant pot, Everything but the kale (and cheese and lemon juice) for 11 minutes under pressure, and then added the other stuff in after. Also, I did 1/3 white wine and 2/3 chicken stock. Totally worth making. Yum!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yay, jodi! You must have been motivated.

Love the Instant Pot twist....

ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Ok, that letter is wonderful! I usually hate long recipes, but it made me laugh out loud, several times.

And I learned some stuff. ThumbsUp

Posts: 34809 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Made the soup today. It is *very* good. Thought about the Instant Pot but decided to use my stock pot on the stove top instead.

4 cups of homemade chicken stock plus a cup of Clos Du Bois Pinot Grigio. Jennie-o hot turkey sausage worked out very well. And I used a trio of baby kales.

I bought a lemon but forgot to cut it up and serve it. Will try that when we eat leftovers.

Highly recommended!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A trio of baby kales! Where do you find these?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's some company called Bright Farms that grows all kinds of greens local to where they are sold; I get mine at Mariano's, which is part of Kroger.

I buy the baby beet greens and baby arugula sometimes.

They also have baby kale, but when I was shopping for the soup ingredients the other day, the only kale they had was the Trio of Baby Kale. Package says they were

quote:
Kale, red kale, and Siberian kale (contents may vary by season).

The baby greens cook really fast.

Bright Farms

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
There's some company called Bright Farms that grows all kinds of greens local to where they are sold; I get mine at Mariano's, which is part of Kroger.

I buy the baby beet greens and baby arugula sometimes.

They also have baby kale, but when I was shopping for the soup ingredients the other day, the only kale they had was the Trio of Baby Kale. Package says they were

quote:
Kale, red kale, and Siberian kale (contents may vary by season).

The baby greens cook really fast.

Bright Farms

Ha! Our local Kroger store is “Ralph’s” which is one town over. I’ll swing by and look for baby kale. Meanwhile, if we’re putting kale in soup, how about some Italian Wedding Soup ?

And what does one do with baby turnip greens?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're packaged in plastic containers; I love the greens but am not thrilled about the plastic packaging.

Bright Farms has a locator to tell you where their products are sold. I think they might be more of an eastern half of the country thing.

But I'm pretty sure there are other growers that do baby greens, because there are often a couple of choices of producers at Mariano's.

Baby arugula, baby spinach, baby beet greens, and some mixes are among my faves. Mik posted a recipe for pasta, tomatoes, greens and some other stuff, and I like to use one of the mixes for that one.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
You could just saute baby turnip greens in olive oil with garlic and they'd be awesome.

I bought a bag of turnip greens one time that came with a recipe that I still use all the time. Saute them with olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Chop up sundried tomatoes, black olives, and green olives and toss them in at the end to heat. Serve with parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds on top.

That was a very popular recipe at my house when my kids were in their teens and old enough to be willing to try strongly flavored foods.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15499 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I'm going to try another batch of Roberto with fire roasted tomatoes instead of regular.

And I bought both hot and sweet Italian turkey sausage. We liked the last batch with the hot sausage, but I thought the sweet might be a nice change.

I'll decide at the last minute...

Bazootiehead-in-training