well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A soup called Roberto
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A soup called Roberto
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve done It twice with the hot. There is something really nice about a little kick with all that tangy tomato/cheese/lemon juice.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20411 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I still have to try this. Maybe over the weekend. Has anyone tried it without the sausage, or with a non-meat alternative?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I haven't but wonder if cremini mushrooms might be a good substitute. And maybe a few pasta shells?

And jodi is right about that little bit of heat. Maybe just adding some cayenne or a bit of crushed red pepper might add that kick that is part of what makes the soup so appealing.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was National Homemade Soup Day!

I made Turkey and rice soup! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm at home enjoying a snow day. There have been precious few of those in my life.

To celebrate, I made vegetable soup!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
First time I made it I forgot the lemon.

This time, I squeezed some lemon in.

I like it better without the lemon.

YMMV.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I'm at home enjoying a snow day. There have been precious few of those in my life.

To celebrate, I made vegetable soup!

Definitely a great idea! Really bad weather triggers my nesting/cooking genes as well. If I lived in a really cold climate, I'd never leave the house and we'd be living off of soup, chili and baked bread. Smiler

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the recipe when you first posted this. I love her approach to recipes as programs! And I also love that she relaxed her approach, because humans are not computers.

If I have parmesan cheese, then I have the makings for Soup Roberto, sort of. I have bratwurst instead of Italian sausage, and I have collards instead of kale. I think I'll risk it.

wtg, maybe I can call it Soup Armando. Wink

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Soup Armando. I love it. Big Grin

I don't put the parmesan cheese in the soup as she describes; we just sprinkle some on our individual portions, and we often just skip it altogether.

If you're going to do it, I actually think a chunk of parmesan rind would be better. Otherwise, the grated cheese melts and sticks on the spoon and the bottom of the bowl. I had rinds available, but forgot to throw them in when the soup was cooking. facepalm

We tried it with lemon juice and without, and definitely preferred without. But Cindy mentioned a splash of balsamic vinegar in her vegetarian version (in the Kale thread), and I thought that sounded kind of interesting.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bump.

It's bloody freezing outside, and time to re-evangelize this recipe. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have some kale going sideways in the crisper and the rest of the ingredients as well.

High tomorrow is 21 degrees. I’m not going anywhere and will give this soup a shot.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post