well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Things that everyone knows but you…
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things that everyone knows but you…
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Or, things that you thought you knew but were actually totally wrong about.

I’ll start.

So, you know the novel (and movie?) “The Picture of Dorian Gray”?

I always thought it was “pictures” plural, and I thought Dorian was a woman.

Huh.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I made this sketchnote back in 2016 after visiting Berlin.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, yours is better than mine.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
thanks, Sharon; I didn’t know that!

SK: I always thought it was the PORTRAIT of Dorian Gray, up til this very moment. Oops.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“There’s a bathroom on the right”.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34822 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Adagio, at least I’m not the only one, I guess!

Steve, Confused

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve, Confused

SK, think misunderstood song lyrics/CCR.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7372 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Steve, Confused

SK, think misunderstood song lyrics/CCR.

Big Al

OMG now I get it! ROTFLMAO

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was rack and ruin. Turns out it's wrack and ruin.

Huh.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
wrack and ruin

I don't think I knew that was a set expression...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I am with dol.

Only politicians would create West Berlin and put it in the east.
I did figure it out before I embarrassed myself.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That a lot of the songs I grew up with carry a lot of racist baggage. Either they were written for the blackface minstrel stage, or new lyrics were written for old songs that were horribly racist. Most of the overtly racist lyrics have been left behind, but for some people, the songs still carry the racist stink.

I got a quick education on this when I asked my banjo teacher about Turkey in the Straw. She said that it should not be played in public. One version of it was called "the most racist song ever written". I had no idea.

Even the most popular American song ever, Oh! Susannah, originally had the N-word in the lyrics.

I'm kinda re-thinking this whole banjo thing. Even the instrument itself has a fraught history.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when I told people my name is Joe, they’d reply, “Hey Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand?” I had no idea what they were talking about. Until quite recently.

I think that happened once on this very forum.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13772 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Sometimes when I told people my name is Joe, they’d reply, “Hey Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand?” I had no idea what they were talking about. Until quite recently.

I think that happened once on this very forum.

HAHAHA

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
That a lot of the songs I grew up with carry a lot of racist baggage. Either they were written for the blackface minstrel stage, or new lyrics were written for old songs that were horribly racist. Most of the overtly racist lyrics have been left behind, but for some people, the songs still carry the racist stink.

I got a quick education on this when I asked my banjo teacher about Turkey in the Straw. She said that it should not be played in public. One version of it was called "the most racist song ever written". I had no idea.

Even the most popular American song ever, Oh! Susannah, originally had the N-word in the lyrics.

I'm kinda re-thinking this whole banjo thing. Even the instrument itself has a fraught history.

Saxophone?