well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's for Sunday lunch/dinner (formerly Wednesday dinner...)?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's for Sunday lunch/dinner (formerly Wednesday dinner...)?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Skillet meals and vegetables from the Brassica family are figuring prominently in our meals these days. Broccoli, red and green cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts are really good keepers in the frig and I don't have to go out to replenish that often.

I also laid in a supply of different kinds of sausages that I've frozen in one-meal packets.

Tonight's skillet is quasi-German. Sweet and sour cabbage with apples and some smoked sausage. Greenridge Farm is a Chicago-based company that makes some very nice precooked sausages that are nitrite and nitrate free.

Am steaming some broccoli, too.

A very cabbagey meal!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I made MFR brussel sprouts with bacon and maple last night. I thought they were wonderful but that woman is stubborn when it comes to food. Makes me wonder why she ever married me! ROTFLMAO

Tonight is Smoked Turkey Rosemary Pasta, a 35 year Mik staple. Delicious.

We spent a couple hours out on the deck in the sun today. Wonderful and very stress relieving. Last couple days I have started to physically feel the stress of this situation plus a little depression. Got to kick both those to the curb. I am not one who is prone to stress so I notice it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, Looks delish!!
Mik, what is MFR?

Mr. SK made ... I don’t know what to call it. Cabbage, pork, mushrooms, steamed or ... cooked (??) with soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. In a big pot. Super yummy! Oh and we also had steamed veggies with Japanese mayo and salt (totally guilty pleasure!)

Yummy

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How can someone not like Brussels sprouts. The frozen ones aren't that great, but fresh they are one of our faves.

Got a recipe for the maple bacon Brussels sprouts? I have a bag of them in the frig that are next up to be cooked. Also bacon in the freezer. And a huge bottle of maple syrup.

Am I most of the way there?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
SK, that sounds fabulous, too.

I love cabbage in pretty much any form. I have some killer kimchi in the fridge that I snack on every so often.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No fixed recipe - I thought they were all too complicated. I trim and slice them into 1/8" slices. They tend to fall apart in the pan that way and i think the texture is better - it brings out their natural sweetness. Melted 1T butter in a saute pan over medium low heat, then added the sprouts, salt and pepper, 1 T of real maple syrup and 1 or two slices of precooked thick cut bacon. Delicious.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have two things going:an Enchilada "stoup" in the crockpot for the future, and a couple of thick-cut pork chops in the souz-vide for putting on the grill later.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mik - That sounds great. Sliced/shredded is the way to go here, definitely.

We always ate them whole, or maybe quartered them for soup. I've only recently starting having them shredded in a salad or sauteed.

ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What's an enchilada stoup and how do you make it?

Sounds intriguing.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love cabbage too!!

Do you like napa cabbage? Mr. SK takes that does something where he smooshes it with salt, squeezes all the water out and it's like a ... pickled cabbage except you can eat it right away (unlike pickles, right? I am so pathetic, you can always tell when someone doesn't cook and has no idea of what they're talking about).

Anyway, it's about as simple as it could possibly be, but so, so yummy!

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
WTG, Looks delish!!
Mik, what is MFR?

Mr. SK made ... I don’t know what to call it. Cabbage, pork, mushrooms, steamed or ... cooked (??) with soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. In a big pot. Super yummy! Oh and we also had steamed veggies with Japanese mayo and salt (totally guilty pleasure!)

Yummy

My Favorite Redhead. The first thing I noticed about her at the wine tasting where we met was her stunning, natural red hair. Which is normal as I have always kind of had a thing for redheads.

at 62 her hair - and the rest of her - is just as magical as the day we met.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Love Napa cabbage.

There is a quick pickle that's called a one day pickle. It's basically what my Dad used to do during the summer when fresh pickles are plentiful, though he left the pickles whole rather than slicing them. We always ate them within a few days rather than putting them up in jars.

You can do a search for one day pickles; there are tons of recipes out there.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tamales, beans, rice-keeping it simple tonight

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Now that yo remind me, I remember that nickname.

quote:
at 62 her hair - and the rest of her - is just as magical as the day we met.

That’s lovely! Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Italian sausage and red bell pepper soup with frozen fresh noodles.

Dynamite!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post