well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    White Fragility

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Fragility
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted
I want to thank my son Brian for bringing this work to my attention. I haven't finished reading it, and in fact I've barely started, but the quotation I pasted below really resonates with me and I wanted to share it.

I am more aware of my white privilege than I have ever been before and I am working steadily to understand myself and to appreciate and support people of color in their endeavor to level the playing field.

To my white friends and family, I hope you are experiencing a similar awakening and are evaluating how we can all work together to improve everyone's life without regard to their color, gender, sexuality, religion, or any other category of identification.

To my POC friends and family, bear with me. Please call me out when I stumble. I want to improve and I guarantee I will listen and that your help will be appreciated. We're all in this together and I'm determined to deal with this and to help with a solution.

"White people in North America live in a society that is deeply separate and unequal by race, and white people are the beneficiaries of that separation and inequality. As a result, we are insulated from racial stress, at the same time that we come to feel entitled to and deserving of our advantage. Given how seldom we experience racial discomfort in a society we dominate, we haven’t had to build our racial stamina. Socialized into a deeply internalized sense of superiority that we either are unaware of or can never admit to ourselves, we become highly fragile in conversations about race. We consider a challenge to our racial worldviews as a challenge to our very identities as good, moral people. Thus, we perceive any attempt to connect us to the system of racism as an unsettling and unfair moral offense. The smallest amount of racial stress is intolerable—the mere suggestion that being white has meaning often triggers a range of defensive responses. These include emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and withdrawal from the stress-inducing situation."

DiAngelo, Robin J.. White Fragility (pp. 1-2). Beacon Press. Kindle Edition.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just started it today... been on my work reading list

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Raised on a cotton farm, my privilege was apparent and glaring.
I was an arrogant little s***, as expected.
Had an epiphany one day when turned from going to the frat boy clothing store, went past the Jack in the Box and decided to go directly to where I lived. I realized there was a better perspective and I wanted it. It was the Vietnam era.
Have been trying to be better since.

That was my Jack in the Box epiphany. Smiler It was not the road to Damascus or whatever.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
That was my Jack in the Box epiphany. Smiler It was not the road to Damascus or whatever.

More like the road to E. coli.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raised on a cotton farm, my privilege was apparent and glaring.
I was an arrogant little s***, as expected.
Had an epiphany one day when turned from going to the frat boy clothing store, went past the Jack in the Box and decided to go directly to where I lived. I realized there was a better perspective and I wanted it. It was the Vietnam era.
Have been trying to be better since.

Smiler

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

More like the road to E. coli.

Big Grin
I think that incident was around that time.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm not fragile in conversations about race but maybe I'm an exception.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I'm not fragile in conversations about race but maybe I'm an exception.

That is a healthy attitude.