well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What to do - with Tofu?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do - with Tofu?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It all sounds good!

I like the idea of a breakfast burrito - one of my favorite food groups! How do you make one?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I hate tofu. I also like to keep soy out of my diet because of the phytoestrogens.

I am a big believer in avoiding all inflammatory ingredients in foods. Inflammation is believed to be an underlying cause of many diseases.

Google anti-inflammatory diet and see what you think.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What to do - with Tofu?

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

Google anti-inflammatory diet and see what you think.

Wow. That one is really strict. There’s no way I could stay on it.

Mediterranean seems sensible. Mayo Clinic recommends it, as does my new Cleveland Clinic doc. It’s pretty straightforward - more veg, way less meat, more fiber, avoid processed food. I can certainly do that - it’s not that different than how I eat now if left to my own devices.

As for exercise there’s good news on that front. New doc added turmeric to the chamomile tea regimen and vitamin D because I tested low for it. Seems to work - I can play guitar and walking is easy again.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
What to do - with Tofu?

I thought that was kale… Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I've used tofu as a substrate when cooking for annoying people vegetarians and vegans.

I buy extra firm, cut it into cubes, dry it out, then dip it in some soy and sauté it. I then add it to a meal that non-annoying omnivores would eat with chicken or beef.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I get the firm or medium firm tofu. Cheese is high in fat and expensive so I mostly use tofu as a substitute for cheese in sandwiches by slicing it up thin. I also use tofu in salads.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
markj - ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Here's my main breakfast burrito recipe:

Burrito

A couple of notes.

No need to use the oven. Just get the base going in a skillet (garlic, tofu, spices), then add the peppers and kale. Just make sure you squeeze as much water from the tofu as you can, and cool off all of the moisture. Moisture and mexican food don't mix.

I don't bother with the hummus or yeast. OK to swap spinach for kale if you want.

For the potatoes, take 3-4 small redskin potatoes; microwave until soft; cut into chunks; toss it in.

The key to successful vegetarian cooking is to let flavor be your guide. I find this recipe to be too bland. So I sauté chopped onion as a first step, and I add spices like cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika. And I add a bunch of my favorite red or green salsa until it tastes like something.

Serve with sour cream and/or avocado, and more salsa.

This really helped me get away from eating eggs at every breakfast. Good luck!

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Consider also:

1. Grilled tofu steak -- grill a slab of tofu like you grill a slab of meat

2. Air-fried tofu -- if you have an air fryer, cut the tofu into cubes, throw them into an air-fryer, then season to taste

Use "firm" or "extra firm" tofu for either of the above. Will likely need to "press" the tofu before cooking it. Google for specific recipes, tons of them online.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Although I usually stir fry tofu with veggies or add small cubes to miso soup, you can also make a nice “creamy” salad dressing with it (adding spices/flavorings).

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
My niece was a big soy eater. She developed two large growths the docs called cysts.
One was the size of a basketball. It was in her abdomen. She was taken to Palo Alto from Anchorage for
surgery.
The doctors said the cysts were due to her consumption of soy.
Now you know as much about the cysts as I do. My late sister kept me up to date on the situation. I tend to avoid
my niece.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The easiest way I've found to drain tofu is to put it in a strainer, with a folded up paper towel on top. Take your teakettle (old style, not one of those fancy electric ones), fill it with water so it's heavy, and walk away for about an hour.

The pressure of the teakettle will squeeze the excess liquid out. I've found the drier, the better for most cooking.

I'm an extra firm fan, personally. I generally want tofu to act like meat or cheese, and remain a solid, substantial item in the meal.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
As for exercise there’s good news on that front. New doc added turmeric to the chamomile tea regimen and vitamin D because I tested low for it. Seems to work - I can play guitar and walking is easy again.

Tell us more...how much chamomile tea? Does the turmeric have black pepper in it, too? What brand and what dose?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post