well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I guess everybody is watching...
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess everybody is watching...
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I was listening to an opiner who pointed out something I hadn't considered. This is the first case in memory (perhaps in history?) where the incumbent was losing in the polls BEFORE the challenger's party convention. In a more typical situation, the hoped for outcome of the convention is the "post convention bounce." Biden doesn't need that. The hoped for outcome here is to present his story, his people, come out from the basement, and have his poll numbers stay the same. The importance of the bounce is far, far less this year.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Michelle is killing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
And Michelle crushed it! ThumbsUp

The folks at Fox thought so, too.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/...-reviews-on-fox-news

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or does Caroline Kennedy look not as healthy as you’d expect a 62 year old Kennedy to look?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Delaware passes?!?

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I guess they’ll come back in later to put him over the top?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Clinton would have done 10x better in front of an audience of thousands.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seen on Twitter:

“Six months ago people thought there was a legitimate chance this would be a historic brokered convention, with real-life dealmaking, lobbying, and strategizing. The peak of high-stakes political drama. Now we're all sitting in our sweatpants watching infomercials on YouTube”

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
He’s doing well in his speech

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Really well.

The GOP made a strategic error talking about him all the time like he’s an Alzheimer’s patient. They set expectations very low and Joe is knocking it out of the park.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I was a little surprised at how much he dwelled on the current administration, but it worked well. He was on point, passionate, and hit all of the necessary notes.

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Good ending too.

They figured out that the quiet and golf clap from the zoom crowd is lame. They fixed it in time.

Good job, Joe. Good job, DNC.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Lots of schmaltz, but that's the name of the game.
The MAIN thing, is he came across not only as his advocates had described, but as as competent as he had been in past speeches.

Well done, Joe! Well done, DNC! (AAnd very well done, Kamala Harris,too!)

Only druther is for the camera to have captured him as if he were speaking to the audience, eye to eye. I guess it was impossible, though, while he was reading the teleprompter. (I was watching on NYTimes broadcast, in case there was a difference.)

The greatest success was what he did NOT fall prey to - uncertain or wobbly speech, repetitiveness. And good choice to have him end on strong note, challenging bad guys (at home and abroad) and promising to deliver very different results! (More than any human being could deliver, but so what at the "inflection point" in this so-crucial election?)

PS I also salute the DNC's decisions on ways to show the unity of Biden's former adversaries.
Brilliant tactic!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Let's have his USA

Again.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Joe kicked ass.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34829 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Even FoxNews called it “the most forceful and steely speech of his career” in their write up.