well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I guess everybody is watching...
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess everybody is watching...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
... the convention.

I'm not. Got work to do to finish preparing my classes for later this week, and for the rest of the term. Big Grin

But I don't need the convention to motivate me or to teach me anything, and I don't find political theater particularly compelling.

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
First one I’ve ever watched or cared about.

I like it.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34829 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Its interesting because it is the first virtual convention.

The Dems are crushing it. So much more interesting than watching people scream into a room full of screaming people.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I’m not watching it. I just got finished do a bunch of teaching prep and far too many emails :P

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I see I wasn't alone ... Evil

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Dems are crushing it. So much more interesting than watching people scream into a room full of screaming people.

I run screaming from the TV room to avoid that fate. It's about as pleasant as a root canal without novocaine.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Its interesting because it is the first virtual convention.

Reading this made me turn it on. Bernie did well. Michelle is too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Michelle is killing it.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I see I wasn't alone ... Evil

PM me and I’ll hook you up with some online classes in time management. Evil

Posts: 34829 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
They got the technical parts right.

And Michelle crushed it! ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
For those following along at home, compare Michelle’s speech with this news tidbit:

Rather a different vision for America.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I was impressed. I was expecting a bunch of boring speeches on zoom. Yawn.

Instead, it was Oscars meets CNN. Just when you started to drift off, bam. They moved onto the next thing. Much less soaring rhetoric, much more regular people sharing Regular thoughts in their own words.

Big winners: Senator from Nevada at her kitchen table. Lady who lost her dad to Covid because he went to karaoke night in Phoenix. Children from each state singing.

Big losers: George Floyd brothers; Just didn’t land. Random music by people I’ve never heard of. Too much talk about race and not enough about health care.

And I loved Joe showing up and moderating a panel. Broke the rule about staying hidden until the end. Proved he’s not on life support. Came across as really caring.

And efficient! Just two hours, without all of the chanting and applause.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So, y'all made me turn it on at 11 when Michelle was speaking. Yeah, she did a great job.

No clue how many votes can be earned by performances like these. Or lost if someone messes up.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
So, y'all made me turn it on at 11 when Michelle was speaking. Yeah, she did a great job.

No clue how many votes can be earned by performances like these. Or lost if someone messes up.

I thought the same thing. So much of this is preaching to the converted.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Preaching to the converted is fine, if some of the converts are waffling about actually professing the faith publicly (i.e. actually voting). If it raises turnout then it's productive. But I'm not aware of how much this kind of event matters in comparison to big factors like the unemployment rate, and the international situation, or to state-specific things a campaign cannot easily control.

I'm guessing that rule #1 is don't step on yourself, especially if you are an incumbent and/or have a significant current advantage (as Biden does).