well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    White Fragility
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Fragility
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I will pose the two questions then that lie at the end of the discussion.

1. What do you want me to do?

2. What do you want our society to do?

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
+1.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I will pose the two questions then that lie at the end of the discussion.

1. What do you want me to do?

2. What do you want our society to do?

1. Contribute to the discussion. Your post is a good contribution.

2. Wish I knew what would alleviate the situation. Racism is systemic.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
My current pet peeve is with those--both white and black--who insist that if you, simply by accident of birth into the white race, have benefited from institutional racism, then you are a racist.

Racism is hatred of and/or discrimination against others by virtue of their race. The white defensiveness is there because most people who involuntarily benefit from institutional racism are not filled with hate and don't think that other races are "less than", and would solve the problem if they knew how. It is unfair to call those people racists.

To assume that no white people recognize institutional racism is also incorrect.

I agree that something must be done, and the current state of affairs is grieviously unjust to people of color, but labeling all white people racists helps absolutely nothing. Way to alienate and offend your natural allies.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
I can understand the Robin Hood instinct which is IMO entirely behind the appeal of reparations, but what I think is silly is any notion that it would do any good. At best, the money re-apportioned based on skin color could materially improve, in the long term, the socioeconomic status of those on the receiving end, because it would be used as an investment in an entire sub-culture. For any given specific piece of reparations legislation, that best-case goal could be discussed and even studied by economists, to whatever extent their input would be considered valuable.

The rub, to me, is that then you'd have a society where non-black people would walk around every day thinking that some portion of what they work for would be taken from them and given to a black person.

Anybody who thinks that would help race relations, well, good luck with that.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Way to alienate and offend your natural allies.

The left is very, very good at that. You’ve just described Bernie’s entire campaign.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post