well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'll see your Latino/Latina/Latinx...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll see your Latino/Latina/Latinx...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
...and raise you a marital status...

https://www.languagesoftheworl...ir-mademoiselle.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Great article, thanks!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Funny, I mentioned ‘Ms’ in the other thread before seeing this one.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is actually a problem Spanish still has. There’s Señora and Señorita just like 50 years ago in English.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Fascinating article.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The people of my mom and dad's generation who came here post-WWII dropped the whole marital status thing from surnames when dealing with English speaking people (including legal documents). So my dad, my mom, and I all had the same last name.

Among our Lithuanian friends, though, the surname endings reflecting marital status were retained.

On the other hand, the Lithuanians who are coming to the US now are keeping the Lithuanian convention for everything (legal docs and personal interactions), so a father, mother, and daughter have three different last names.

I've often wondered why the two different generations chose different conventions.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It never ends.

Posts: 24636 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've often wondered why the two different generations chose different conventions.

This is a super interesting question. I wonder if it has to do with a desire to maintain one's identity and cultural heritage?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. Both groups have maintained strong cultural ties to their native country.

My parents' generation, the DPs (displaced persons who came post WWII) maintained their language and culture in the camps in Germany. There were books printed in Lithuanian, there were Lithuanian scout groups, and Lithuanian folk dancing groups. All of these continued in the US, and in other countries to which they emigrated like Australia.

I went to Lithuanian school for a few hours on Saturday mornings. There are several Lithuanian newspapers published in the US, one of the major ones is in Chicago. There are two churches in the area that hold their services in Lithuanian. Lots of others in cities around the country

The "third wave" Lithuanians (the ones who have come since the early 90s when Lithuania got its independence) have their newspapers, restaurants, and schools. They were viewed as interlopers by the DPs.

I'll have to think about it some more....

Bazootiehead-in-training