well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lilly Fires a Warning Shot Across Indiana's Bow

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lilly Fires a Warning Shot Across Indiana's Bow
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I imagine some non-resident students who are considering going to Purdue are reconsidering in favor of other equally good alternatives in other states. Notre Dame is probably still OK because of its Catholic base.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Time for Lilly to find a better environment.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Lilly will not leave Indianapolis any more than P&G would leave Cincinnati. I know quite a bit about the internal culture. They may locate future endeavors elsewhere, but the HQ will stay put.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Lilly will not leave Indianapolis any more than P&G would leave Cincinnati. I know quite a bit about the internal culture. They may locate future endeavors elsewhere, but the HQ will stay put.

They didn't say they were leaving. They were quite specific in saying they weren't doing that. They said they'd plan for more employment growth "outside their home state".

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Anecdotally, we're hearing a lot of talk about how students are taking the state's stance re: abortion into account when applying to colleges. Given the general decline in enrollment in higher ed, and the fact that the majority of students are now women, this may prove to be a significant competitive edge to be in a state that still offers abortions.

Again, anecdotally, but it would be interesting to check out the hypothesis in a few years.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
anecdotally, but it would be interesting to check out the hypothesis in a few years.

I'm not sure how you'd ever manage to figure it out without confounding variables.

How would you ever know that it wasn't because of climate change (states with strict abortion laws will, on average, be more southern), or other political factors, for example.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You ask them, using one or more of a variety of survey methods, then correlate it with enrollment and persistence data.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure how you'd ever manage to figure it out without confounding variables.

You can easily control for confounding variables if you can measure them. But you're still left with interesting correlations. You want to go more toward causality and you need some sort of ...

Natural Experiment

I can imagine lots of economists are already planning out (salivating at, actually) some sort of "diff-in-diff" model to evaluate the consequences of Dobbs.

Difference-in-Difference estimation

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think people don’t think much about abortion until they need one.

I highly doubt that students picking a college will care whether abortion is available. They will see it as a problem they will worry about later. Especially since most college students do not come from poor families and have the means to cross state lines if it comes to that.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Abortion bans are already impacting doctor recruitment.... Doesn't bode well for red states. (sorry if it's pay walled...)

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ernity-health-obgyn/

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
You ask them, using one or more of a variety of survey methods, then correlate it with enrollment and persistence data.

You'd have to find, just as an example, a kid who got into both Indiana and SUNY Buffalo (is it Buffalo University now?), and then ask them. You don't necessarily know which kids at Buffalo got into (and were considering) Indiana.

And then you have to assume that they are answering truthfully. They might not want to tell you, for example, that the deciding factor was expense, because they were from New York State, or that they wanted to stay closer to family. They might have an interest, for political reasons, in saying it was Indiana's abortion law.

I think the old saw about "lies, damned lies, and statistics" will apply here.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

You'd have to find, just as an example, a kid who got into both Indiana and SUNY Buffalo (is it Buffalo University now?), and then ask them. You don't necessarily know which kids at Buffalo got into (and were considering) Indiana.

And then you have to assume that they are answering truthfully. They might not want to tell you, for example, that the deciding factor was expense, because they were from New York State, or that they wanted to stay closer to family. They might have an interest, for political reasons, in saying it was Indiana's abortion law.

I think the old saw about "lies, damned lies, and statistics" will apply here.

No, no one cares about Indiana per se. It represents a broader phenomenon of schools in states with broad bans versus schools in states with broad access. See my post above on general techniques for causal analysis.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I will be interested to see if there is a critique-free way of testing this hypothesis.

Which is not to say that I disagree. I'd certainly be encouraging my own daughters to ignore acceptances at schools located in states with regressive abortion laws. But there are also plenty of kids who are locked into their school choices because of lower in-state tuition, travel costs, the need to live at home, or any one of a myriad of other factors.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I highly doubt that students picking a college will care whether abortion is available

Maybe not for undergrad but grad students. I’m seeing people on Twitter talking about how a state’s abortion laws will inform where they apply or go for grad school and also for post-docs. And some people are saying it will inform where they do their job hunting as well.

It remains to be seen whether this is just talk, but it certainly is something people are taking about.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post