well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this? (Arts journalism)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this? (Arts journalism)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I, too, find it odd that there are no comments.

Although, once you start noticing that, you notice it all the time. There are a ton of articles in the NYTs which don't accept comments, so I'm not sure how relevant that is here.

quote:
I love the part where he writes, "The unshakable sense that I owned this performance — the way people own paintings and hang them in their homes — prevented me from reviewing it, in my usual sense." Then he proceeds to review it.

I read that as well, and just interpreted it to mean that this article was more of an account of his experience than a traditional review. Of course, my views about bias is that there's no such thing as an unbiased review, so the conflicts of interest here (and I recognize now that there are some) really aren't an issue for me.

But anyway, I'm obviously out of step here, since I didn't react the way everyone else here did.

In fact, the things I reacted to are things that haven't been discussed here at all. Like the fact that the composer must be a control freak. ROTFLMAO You can compose something and stipulate that it be performed in a specific space or specific way, but once it's out in the world, you can't maintain control on it. I wonder how LVB feels about the first section of "Fur Elise" being decoupled from the rest of it (and as a result, decoupled from the emotive thrust of the piece) so that it can be played by every beginning piano student ever...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
SK — I cannot even begin to tell you the ways in which composers can be control freaks. Maybe over a long lunch sometime!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
SK — I cannot even begin to tell you the ways in which composers can be control freaks.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Here's an article that provides some insight as to what is expected of journalists

https://www.washingtonpost.com...fa7482a77_story.html

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Thanks for the clarification.

So, what is an appropriate separation? Musicians shouldn't mix with critics or presenters?

It's the responsibility of critics--and the news organizations they work for--to not cross these lines. A journalist has a responsibility to be agnostic about the subject they write about, to not write about artists they have a personal or business relationship with, and to not form personal or business relationships with artists they write about.

I remember when I was writing Grand Obsession, one of the piano dealers who is in the book wanted to pay me a commission for a piano sale he had made. I had to decline because to accept would have changed our relationship and created a conflict of interest.

piqué, I somehow missed this comment of yours, thanks for explaining these details, it makes a lot of sense.

I'll see if I can read that WaPo article let, when I can get past the paywall. :P