well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this? (Arts journalism)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this? (Arts journalism)
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I am THIS close to posting a rant on Facebook about this, but so much about this article sounds unethical on the critic's part (and paper's part) and shows the crassest of publicity-seeking on the part of the artist/composer.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned and don't understand how these things work these days, but is this an acceptable way to get a nice fat piece written about you in the Times these days?

(It's also interesting that the Times has not posted a Comments section, at least not yet).

When a Critic Hosts the Premiere

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13792 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, I would never have considered the kind of take you have on this. I hate to disagree with you when you obviously feel so strongly about it, but I loved the piece! I would have loved to have been there. It also made me think about the home music parties I've been having lately, what I might change about them, how they are similar or different to this etc....

Back to the topic at hand though. It seems to me that other kinds of artists (non-musicians, I mean) do all kinds of things that might be labeled publicity-seeking.... Or we could describe it as "getting your work out there." Why should (somewhat)classical musicians or composers not be allowed to do something similar?

You described this as unethical and crass. How should it be undertaken to be ethical and not crass? I'm guessing you'll answer "have the host not also be a NYTs writer"? What else am I missing?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18379 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I read as much as I could... (I don't have a subscription).

I feel it's cloying. The critic has a vested interest (his career) and a platform (the NYT). He uses these to promote artists in an article that seems like the next best thing to shilling to me. I don't like it at all.

Posts: 24674 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hi SK. Some publicity agents do have “pull” with critics and can steer them to cover artists they represent . I get that. But “You should go hear this upcoming fAntastic performance by Artist X” is wildly different from “You should host Artist X’s performance in your home” with even an unspoken assumption that the critic will write about it is very different.

And that’s only one of the problems I have with this.

I would love to hear Mary Anna’s or Pique’s take on this.

I have no problem with home concerts in principle. I think they’re great.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13792 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I see what you're saying. I guess I probably sound sort of naive, it just seems like a neat way to do a non-traditional concert and I enjoyed reading about it.

But if it makes the "critic" unable to be "critical" or ends up creating a conflict of interest, I can see how that's problematic.

I agree, hopefully MA and pique will comment from their journalistic perspective.

Posts: 18379 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
As a first world society, we probably pay too much attention and give too much credence to art critics. May be I say that only because I do not understand the value brought to the table by these art critics? What is the monetary value of getting a piece published about a living composer/artist in the NYT, like, how much more commissions or gigs would it get the composer/artist in dollar terms vs not having the piece published?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12685 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I am THIS close to posting a rant on Facebook about this, but so much about this article sounds unethical on the critic's part (and paper's part) and shows the crassest of publicity-seeking on the part of the artist/composer.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned and don't understand how these things work these days, but is this an acceptable way to get a nice fat piece written about you in the Times these days?

(It's also interesting that the Times has not posted a Comments section, at least not yet).

When a Critic Hosts the Premiere

The Times should not have allowed this
From the POV of journalism ethics, this crosses a line. He was used, and that's pretty transparent.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
RP, have you found that the opinion of various critics affects your business?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34878 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
RP, have you found that the opinion of various critics affects your business?
Yes, you do need some nice reviews. But hard to point to that as a defining factor.

What's new lately is social media. Artists, critics, curators, arts presenters, are all swimming in the same social-media sea. Among my FB "friends" are concert presenters and critics, including a NY Times music critic (not this guy). There used to be more of a sense of separation between these types of people.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
concert presenter

What is a concert presenter? Like, an organizer or sponsor?

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
concert presenter

What is a concert presenter? Like, an organizer or sponsor?

An organizer within an institution. For example, Columbia University has a prominent new music series at Miller Theater, and the director who determines what music/artists perform in those concerts is Melissa Smey. Or, a presenter may be in charge of the series but pass on the selection process to a curator or rotating series of curators, and they do the deciding.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification.

So, what is an appropriate separation? Musicians shouldn't mix with critics or presenters?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Thanks for the clarification.

So, what is an appropriate separation? Musicians shouldn't mix with critics or presenters?

It's the responsibility of critics--and the news organizations they work for--to not cross these lines. A journalist has a responsibility to be agnostic about the subject they write about, to not write about artists they have a personal or business relationship with, and to not form personal or business relationships with artists they write about.

I remember when I was writing Grand Obsession, one of the piano dealers who is in the book wanted to pay me a commission for a piano sale he had made. I had to decline because to accept would have changed our relationship and created a conflict of interest.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Would he have reviewed the piece had it not been in his home? That is a significant issue, from my perspective.

I, too, find it odd that there are no comments.

Finally, I love the part where he writes, "The unshakable sense that I owned this performance — the way people own paintings and hang them in their homes — prevented me from reviewing it, in my usual sense." Then he proceeds to review it.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Exactly, Nina.

It's simple:

Hold it in somebody else's apartment and review it.

Hold it in your own apartment and don't review it.

He could have even written about his experience of hosting a concert at home, leaving out all details (including names) of composer and performer and performance. I'd be cool with that, and it would still be an interesting article.