well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grocery Shopping Getting Real
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery Shopping Getting Real
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, no. We ran out of tofu. Five people had to split one package tonight. I couldn’t find any in the stores.

What has the world come to?

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have changed my food shopping for now but the experience has been so good, I expect to continue.

Once a week or so I head to a local dairy farm to get my fresh milk in glass bottles then swing by the local farm stand next door to get my produce.

I find that in doing this, I have less need to go to the crowded supermarket and I get better quality food.

I plan to keep this up after all this. (The milk is so amazing! No going back!)

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Once a week or so I head to a local dairy farm to get my fresh milk in glass bottles ...
Fresh as in not pasteurized?

Just curious, how long can you keep the milk before it spoils?

Oh, presumably it's "whole milk" only, no "skim," 1%, or 2% "reduced fat" option. Is that right?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Once a week or so I head to a local dairy farm to get my fresh milk in glass bottles ...
Fresh as in not pasteurized?

Just curious, how long can you keep the milk before it spoils?

Oh, presumably it's "whole milk" only, no "skim," 1%, or 2% "reduced fat" option. Is that right?

Pasteurized but from cows just 4 miles from here..no transport..they have all forms, I go for 2%.

I use 2 quarts in a week...Normally less as I use it just for coffee, but this is so good I am known to pour myself a glass..not to mention using it in recipes. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I get some fresh from a local dairy too. Delicious.

At this point I would say 70%-80% of what we eat is local.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I asked the guy at Home Depot if they had any Gromulch. He told me they were out of it.

I say "No sh*t?" and he says "No sir. We're out of that, too."

And we laughed. Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
First grocery trip in 2 mo, before 7 am this morn. Don't think I saw 12 people including workers.
Shaws. Bought several packages of chicken for freezer including 2 whole ones.

No produce other than lemons. I'll wait for farmers food.

Will miss much for awhile but feel safer this way.
Food put in plastic bags then I held out another plastic bag for her to put it in...safer for transportation I think. Since most went into freezer it will be awhile before I have to handle.

Might have mentioned buying nuts and goodies a week ago, so that wasn't handled soon either. Online, big place. Arcade. In containers in the larder.

Phew, was really nerve wracking.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have not been in a store in over a month. I love it.
Groceries are delivered. Bob does the ordering.
Picked up take-out about 5 days ago.
That was an adventure. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I noticed that this is the first time in recorded history that mattresses are not on sale.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Today I noticed that this is the first time in recorded history that mattresses are not on sale.

Some were, online. I only know this because Wirecutter sends me emails about sales, and one of them was for a Sativa (sp?) mattress.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Instacart is now delivering Costco. Got paper towels and napkins today, along with their great berries, cherries and some othe stuff. Delivered within 2 hours.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Instacart is now delivering Costco. Got paper towels and napkins today, along with their great berries, cherries and some othe stuff. Delivered within 2 hours.

Pretty expensive around here.

So I took my first grocery trip. 7 am Shaws. Not even 12 people in the store.

Check out girl bothered me that with mask, no gloves. But I was her first costumer of the day sho she was clean, but were things she had to touch? I protested them she protested.

Hmmm interesting standoff

She bagged, I rebagged her bag with yet another plastic bag. She understood, and all was fine for THAT trip.

Don't want another for another month. Farmers will have some local produce soon and my freezer is again stocked.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Not sure wearing gloves would be any different for a cashier. Anything they are likely to get on their hands from touching would also get on gloves. One local store has sanitizer at the register for the cashiers to use between customers.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
At the store I mostly frequent (besides TJ) they now do quite an intensive clean of the grocery "roller" between customers. Seeing that makes me feel more comfortable about shopping there. Up to now I've been handing over my items to the cashier to scan and bag, so items didn't need to touch that communal spot - all except the produce which needs to be weighed. (I wash that in sudsy water at home and our lettuce in thoroughly boxed).

Which reminds me of a deep concern - plastic. It seems we were all just getting used to using our own bags, and now I'm afraid the public will go back to using plastic bags. And all the throwaway plastic packaging to wrap items! My recycling bin was completely full of plastic bottles and whatnot this week - for one person...Doesn't even include bags. Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post