well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grocery Shopping Getting Real
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery Shopping Getting Real
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Me too. Sickening. Even jigsaw puzzles they are gouging for.

I just ordered some puzzles from Puzzle Warehouse direct.

I have been trying to stay away from Amazon as much as possible given their horrible reputation during this COVID season. (And seems one of their execs felt the same way and quit.)

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BL!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco was basically out of chicken; I got the last pack of chicken thighs (bone in/skin on). Well, there were three packages of wings, too, but those don't really count ... otherwise, nada. No breasts, tenderloins, legs, or whole chickens.

The refrigerator cases were full of other meats and also fish, so no obvious shortage there.

I also noticed that the freezer section was very short on the frozen chicken products like the Perdue breaded tenderloins, etc.

Picked up a sack of Vidalia onions. Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My Favorite Redhead and I masked and bundled up (rainy and cold here this morning) and ventured out to Meijer garden center to seek Nonstop Begonias for the deck planters. Eureka!

We thought today would be sparsely populated and sure enough it was. First time in a store since early March.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ha! Great minds think alike.

I hit Home Depot this morning at 7:45. Temps are in the 40s and it's raining here too.

There was no line to get in the store and there were only a couple of other hearty souls in the garden center.

Got my tomato plants, pepper plants, mint, veggie seeds, a couple of hanging baskets, and furnace filters and got the heck out of there....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr. SK had to go to Lowes today for some parts (because home ownership). He said it was fairly crowded with mostly clueless people. Few people were wearing masks, and of those who were, he said many were not wearing them correctly (like, the person whose mask was only covering their chin. Mr. SK surmises that that person probably had a cleft chin....)

Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Everyone I saw today was masked save one guy. It was encouraging.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr. SK said the store employees were all masked, just not most of the customers. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Masks are (theoretically) required by order of the governor. Home Depot had a security guard at the entrance but everyone I saw came in with a mask on already.

Costco has had a mandatory mask policy for a few weeks. Everyone had masks but quite a few customers weren't real good about the six foot distancing.

It's a bit hit or miss, but generally I'd say people are doing pretty well trying to follow the rules.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Me too. Sickening. Even jigsaw puzzles they are gouging for.

I just ordered some puzzles from Puzzle Warehouse direct.

Mary Anna and I have been having a discussion about how to do a puzzle without feline assistance. It works fine if you finish it in one go and keep throwing them off the table. Or lock them up. But, if you need multiple days, you need a dedicated behind-a-door space, which we would have to create.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Chloe simply likes to come up and lay on MFR's puzzles while she is doing them. She's helpful like that.

Butthead cat.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, if you need multiple days

You need one of these:

There are couple different iterations, here's one.
https://www.amazon.com/Lavieve...id=1588708422&sr=8-2

Google jigsaw puzzle keeper.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Or you could just make your own with a roll for wrapping paper and a big piece of felt....

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Or you could just make your own with a roll for wrapping paper and a big piece of felt....

oooo..SK you just gave me an idea..I have a pool noodle in the garage..just yesterday I decided to keep it as there are many uses...Maybe I can make a puzzle roller? Hm.... Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Got my puzzles today, and liquid soap.

Both NOT from Amazon. I had the soap on order from the big A for a month, with no ship date in sight...canceled it and ordered the same thing from Staples on Friday, free shipping and came a day early, today.

I got a pack of interfacing for sewing masks from a wholesaler on Esty in just days...Sold out in all Amazon vendors..

Aside from Kindle, Amazon is now my last choice. yawn

MillCityGrows.org