well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grocery Shopping Getting Real
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery Shopping Getting Real
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Wisdom on shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic, from the Mayor of Osaka Mr. Ichiro Matsui

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...heyre-more-efficient

Let men do the shopping, because women take too long.

quote:
“When a woman goes [they] take a long time as they browse around and hesitate about this and that ... Men can snap up things they are told and go, so I think it's good that they go shopping, avoiding human contact“

Bullshite. Its the exact opposite in our house. Mr pique went to costco and came home with a laptop!

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh don't worry, he's getting flogged in for that comment in Japan.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
What's hard for me is the one way aisles. Sometimes you're looking for something hard to find (and so is someone in front of you).

And yet it's a no passing zone! And I haven't figured out what to do if someone approaches me "driving" the wrong way.

I was really impressed yesterday at Trader Joe's, when upon arrival the greeter/checker pointed me to a special (small) row of separate carts
outside. informing me they had been completely disinfected!

What a service!

As to my own shopping liability, I find myself making a lot of impulse purchases. Yesterday, I picked up a small box of marzipan (and I'm on the Keto diet!?) not to mention special whole grain mustard and 100% chocolate bars - intention to make "keto friendly" brownies - etc.) It's costing me!

As to the increasingly complicated directional rules (including entrances and exits), I definitely feel I'm in a maze in some stores. G-d help me if I forget something and have to wind back around the ropes and arrows to look for it!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Walmart closed due to deaths

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I spent sometime in the car driving around just to get out of the house. I had to stop at our greenhouse as all staff were offered leftover seedlings. I stopped there first to find a table set out with pots, each with our names on them. Smiler

So I went to Lowes in the next town, found it much better then the HD down the road. Then stopped at the grocery store there. Wasn't busy at all and they had flour!!! Just small bags, and not tons but I did buy two!

The road between cuts by the local movie theater. Right now the parking lot is, I think, the largest testing site in the state. They have tents with four car bays for folks to drive into and at 4:30 the car line was still very long. They supposedly do 1000 tests a day there. It was quite a sight.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We got toilet paper! And not just any old TP, but our toilet paper of choice! We also got our paper towels of choice.

It's freaking Christmas over here! Roll Eyes

In other news, less than half of other customers are wearing masks, and most people seem completely oblivious to distance.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
We also scored TP at Costco. It was exciting - lot of smiles and high virtual fives.

One of our discoveries has been frozen fruit. I've never used it. Always thought it was for the smoothie crowd.

Well, it is much, MUCH better for our breaksfast fruit bowl. I put maybe 4 strawberries and rapsberries in a bowl - wait about 10 minutes for thawing and then cut up the strawberries, add fresh bananas, sprinkling of pound cake crumbs and a dollop of yogurt - and voila - a delightful breakfast. I like the frozen fruit - tastes better than much of the fresh fruit from the market which only lasts a couple of days. This stuff is more consistent and a bag of the strawberries lasts over 2 weeks. It's cheaper and more consistent quality.

Of course, if there's exceptional fresh fruit available, we take it - but now when that's not around - we've nothing to fear.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeast! after two months I got YEAST!

Alright! Instacart delivered it from Gordon's Food Service along with a few other things.

I looked it up on Amazon and the same 2 lb package of Red Star yeast I got for under $8 was going for $25. Thieving bastards.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

So whaddya going to bake?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Pizza! Sourdough bread! (well, I have to make my starter).

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I looked it up on Amazon and the same 2 lb package of Red Star yeast I got for under $8 was going for $25. Thieving bastards.

I've seen a lot of that on Amazon lately.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Word is out that Costco is going to start rationing meat.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We got chicken from Walmart Grocery this morning. Last week, they scratched that from the order.

Interestingly, they were out of canola oil and avocado oil.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

I've seen a lot of that on Amazon lately.

Me too. Sickening. Even jigsaw puzzles they are gouging for.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I picked up my groceries from Fred Meyer this morning, and had to also run inside for a few items (prescription, fresh fish). I heard the U-scan checker tell someone they could only buy 2 packages of chicken; there’s a limit. He could go back and buy in bigger packages. He was pretty ticked off, but the checker made a point that this way everyone gets some.

I didn’t realize there was rationing going on already. We don’t eat a lot of meat.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post