well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grocery Shopping Getting Real
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery Shopping Getting Real
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Sigh...I try to stock up but fresh stuff just doesn't keep that long. Our local Market Basket (the chain famous for the employee strike) has loooong lines to get in. I have not yet tried the senior hours but may have to try that going forward. (6am!)

As everyone online is doing, making bread would be nice..except there is NO FLOUR to be had. I even tried King Arthur direct and the online grocery site PeaPod.

I have a few small bags of various flours and will mix them together to make soda breads as I don't have any yeast.

I needed milk today and decided to take a short drive to a local dairy farm's stand. Got fresh milk in glass bottles along with farm fresh beef and other locally made items...It was a pleasure and I plan to do this as part of my regular shopping. Yes

What is grocery shopping like for you in other parts of the world?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I have powdered milk and a huge jar of peanut butter powder that I ordered when things looked like they might become very bad.
Delivery from instacart is doing well so far.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The last time I was at SnootyMart (a Kroger outlet), there were about four bags of flour and zero yeast.

Mrs pj went to SnootyMart over the weekend and still no yeast. She said the flour section was nearly bare. They only had the "butter flavor" Crisco, so she got that, now she doesn't like the taste of the resulting cookies.

I may try one of the smaller, neighborhood stores. When this all started, the SnootyMart across the from the mall was picked clean, but my neighbor said he went to the one a mile farther north in a residential area and they had plenty of everything.

I have been going to Costco about every 10 days or so, primarily for fresh veggies. I get there a few minutes before they open and it's only about a five minute wait to get in the door.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Call your local pizza parlors. One of them will sell you pizza dough to make different things.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13520 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SnootyMart

PJ, is that really what it's called??

Re shopping down here... Mr. SK went the last time, he said he was seeing staff with masks for the first time, and they've installed those acrylic panels to protect the cashiers.

But a friend just posted on FB that she just went and she said there were a lot of people, they're mostly not conscientious about staying away from each other and she felt like it was very bad. We will probably go at the end of this week or beginning of next, so we'll see. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems shopping. I tend to use Fresh Market or Harris Teeter. Fresh Market now requires masks to enter the store. Haven't seen any widespread unavailability, but I don't go there for TP or other "hard to find" items. Haven't had any problems with basic meats/veggies. If asparagus aren't there, broccoli is ...

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It often takes me a couple of attempts to scope out the parking lot and decide if it looks too crowded to enter...

We've been able to use the senior hours for Costco, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Suburban stores seem to be a little less crowded than the city ones. The city stores are beginning to try to encourage one-way aisles - results are pretty mixed.

On another note, the parking lot at Menards today was the most crowded I've ever observed. I passed.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7543 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Grocery stores? What're those?

I order online from Amazon and Costco, and I go through the grocery pickup lane at Walmart. I use the pickup window at CVS. I haven't set foot inside a store since Mary Anna got home from her trip and we decided to socially isolate. (Except once, I went to the UPS store, because my daughter needed me to send her something urgently.)

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Flour and yeast are available here but you have to go to either a restaurant supply place to get them, or one of the restaurants that have started selling groceries. The restaurant supply chain has plenty available. Same with yeast, rice, beans and pasta. I like the fact there are few if any people in those stores and I also like supporting these small business who are making a go of it.

TP and cleaners are available through janitorial supply houses, although I can not find Tilex anywhere. I ended up making my own which works OK, but not as well as Tilex does.

Meat and veg don't seem to be a problem although it's obvious they're buying grade 2 stuff somewhere. Bread is easy to find, dairy is not a problem anywhere. Bleach is back but wipes are not. Purell? Fuggedaboutit.

Watching pork processing plants close I wonder if we are going to see shortages there.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34823 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I saw a suggestion on line where you order your flour and yeast from a local bakery.

Maybe try that?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34823 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Really have not had a problem here, it is not crowded, and the more expensive store usually has the stuff I can’t find at walmart. (Except for my favorite buttermilk pancake mix - that seems to have completely disappeared. Birch Benders Buttermilk is the absolute best pancake mix and I can’t even find it online. (They have the original, but its not nearly as good). The shelves that are empty at walmart are the disinfecting wipes and the canned chili shelf. Everything else I can find.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20407 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Our idiot governor is lifting some of the restrictions that were in place in our state. One of my friends posted on FB that this makes it more likely that people in the grocery stores are also out and about elsewhere, making those shopping trips more risky than before. I'm not sure how much of a straight line there is from the one (lifting restriction) to the other (risks at the grocery store) but it does make you think.

Sigh.

Our last shopping trip was a week ago today, we were going to see if we could make it another week. But given the above, maybe we should go now and try to wait two weeks out from then?? No idea...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Our last shopping trip was a week ago today, we were going to see if we could make it another week. But given the above, maybe we should go now and try to wait two weeks out from then?? No idea...
That seems like a good idea. Go NOW and stock up for at least two weeks' worth of isolation.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
SnootyMart

PJ, is that really what it's called??
No. It's called QFC. Kroger has two or three chains here. One of them, Fred Meyer is a grocery and housewares and variety and everything else store -- not sure what those are called these days. QFC is primarily groceries, but it has always catered to the upscale market. Funny thing is that Fred Meyer and QFC carry the exact same Kroger house brands. QFC just adds some snootier lines, and most of their produce section is organic.

QFC has added the stickers to the floors at the ends of each aisle to make each aisle one-way. Most people are heeding those, but when the store is practically empty, "it's more of a guideline than a rule".

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Coughing, sneezing, talking, singing....

From what I've been reading, this is how a virus can be ejected into the air - not so much normal breathing. It has made me a tiny bit more comfortable making my way through a store these days. Most folks are wearing masks and not doing a whole lot of talking.

The other thing I read has to do with how air flows AROUND us as we move - which makes it less likely to have icky things attach to our clothing, hair or skin.

Of course, none of this applies to our last line of defense people taking care of those expelling a lot of fluids in an enclosed space...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7543 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post