well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    European heat wave

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European heat wave
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The intense heat wave blasting Europe with record-breaking temperatures manifested on a recent weather forecast as a screaming heat skull of death looming over France.

A forecast map for Thursday, first created June 20, showed France's scorching temperatures creating a giant, screaming face over the country as the country braced itself for the hottest temperatures since a 2003 heat wave killed 15,000 people in the country.

A French meteorologist named Ruben Hallali first spotted the map, and he shared it on Twitter alongside Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream."

—Ruben H (@korben_meteo) June 20, 2019

He said he had never seen anything like the image in 15 years of looking at maps of heat waves.

The map was published by the French website Météociel, which uses different forecasts to generate visualizations of the weather. A Météociel spokesman told CNN that the map was generated from the US Global Forecast System and that its distinctive form happened by chance.

"It just happened to be possible to imagine a special form of a skull in this map," he said.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ars-screaming-2019-6

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the US-France game tomorrow will be a real ... blast.

I suspect the US players will not wilt quite as fast as the French. But everyone will face heat stroke at a minimum.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I couldn't believe those death numbers, but Wikipedia agrees, more or less. They seem to be generated by counting excess deaths over an ordinary summer, which I guess works well enough.

It's true that they're not used to it and they don't have air conditioning, but air conditioning hasn't been around for all that long. We had it when I was a kid, but it was by no means ubiquitous and the summers were routinely 95-100 degrees for weeks on end. It must really make a difference when you're used to it.

Have people always died in these numbers in hot years? Or maybe, since most of the deaths were elderly people, they might not have lived to be elderly in earlier eras.

Anyway...wow.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chicago had a heat wave in the 90s; more than 700 people died in five days from heat-related causes. The morgues couldn't handle it. I think they ended up bringing in cooled trucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Chicago_heat_wave

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yikes.

quote:
France was sweltering through the hottest day on record Friday as the U.S. women's national team prepared for a blockbuster clash with World Cup hosts France.

Temperatures in the southern Gard region hit 114 degrees Fahrenheit at 4 p.m. (10 a.m. ET), the country's national meteorological service said. Hours earlier, temperatures in Conqueyrac broke the previous record when they reached 111.

The French national weather service also activated its highest-level heat danger alert for the first time, putting four regions around Marseille and Montpellier in the south of the country under special watch Friday.

Paris, where the USWNT was playing its do-or-die quarter final match, withstood lower but still sweltering temperatures of around 90 degrees.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/w...record-high-n1024476

eta: Oh, and the US defeated France in the World Cup match...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
On the plus side, the women's team finally beat France. But it sounds awful right now--adding in that most places don't have central air cond, like we do here.

It looks like today is the worst, at least in Paris.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post