well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Astrud Gilberto

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Astrud Gilberto
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The singer behind one of the most recorded songs in history has died.

With her breathy vocals, Astrud Gilberto helped make the breezy and sensual "The Girl From Ipanema" into a global sensation. Her death on Monday night was confirmed by her son, bassist Marcelo Gilberto. She was 83.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/06...ma-singer-dies-at-83

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. I never knew her name, but that song is one of those iconic voices I always recognize, and tons of people try to imitate.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 24709 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
definitely part of the soundtrack of my youth.

Of course, the lesser known Homer and Jethro version titled “the gal from Possum Holler” also runs through my head.

“when you see her walking from the back, looks like two hogs, fighting in a tater sack…”

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Saudade. My wife and I used to spend some time in Ipenema when we were living in Rio de Janeiro.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7398 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Two different performances, one in 1964 and the second in 1988.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
The singer behind one of the most recorded songs in history has died.

With her breathy vocals, Astrud Gilberto helped make the breezy and sensual "The Girl From Ipanema" into a global sensation. Her death on Monday night was confirmed by her son, bassist Marcelo Gilberto. She was 83.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/06...ma-singer-dies-at-83

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EKEmQooklDw" title="The Girl From Ipanema" width="650">[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That album is burned into my brain. Think I wore the vinyl out.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
RIP.
She, Jobim, and Gilberto were fabulous. Yet Stan makes it for me, he floats and soars above the bossa nova background. Surely one of the greatest ever sax players?
Familiarity with the album means I'm just waiting for him to play, then listening to his quiet accompaniment.
Bit like the Peterson Armstrong Fitzgerald jazz album, where the first two are fab but then Ella starts and ... wow.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 378 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ella.

She's considered the greatest singer in American musical history. Fate and circumstance granted me the privilege of having her music in my life.

Her ballads are as measured as those of the best sopranos singing opera. Her improvisation is genius.

Thanks, AD.

Posts: 24709 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post