well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meanwhile in Winnipeg

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile in Winnipeg
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
It was -39.6 yesterday and no schools were closed, no flights were canceled, and the buses ran on time.

#perspective

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not quite *all* buses.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who moved from Chicago to Atlanta. She said that she was amazed to discover that half an inch of snow paralyzes the city.

Guess it's just what you are used to dealing with on a regular basis, though I wonder how they handled de-icing planes in that kind of cold in Winnipeg.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
It's a lot about what you are accustomed to. The body adjusts to our surroundings over time. Not only that, but preparedness is different as well. Someone said there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Agree with everyone else, it is totally what you are used to, but more importantly what the community as a whole is prepared for - how often the roads are plowed normally, how well your house is insulated (and what precautions you take in the wintertime when you know the temperature will be at a certain point) - and what kind of clothing you own. (I have so many more pairs of boots and warm hats now, after maine) I don’t even blink when the temp goes below zero here (in part because it usually goes up into the 20’s and even 30’s during the day) We’ve had snow on the ground since december, but I can walk to the bird feeder without snow shoes. Winter seems like a piece of cake here!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep, the city's response makes a huge difference. Portland has a policy of not icing roads (environmental concerns), and it's also very hilly. When we get ice, it sticks around, maybe thaws during the day, and refreezes at night. I don't care how good you are as a winter driver, or whether you have chains or good snow tires, no one is driving on an icy, hilly street. (I think they changed the law/policy last winter, after a really brutal period of ice the year before).

They also don't have a ton of slowplows, since our issue is usually ice, not snow. But we don't get cold like you guys do. Maybe in the teens for a few days at a crack, and that would be significant.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Yep, the city's response makes a huge difference. Portland has a policy of not icing roads (environmental concerns), and it's also very hilly. When we get ice, it sticks around, maybe thaws during the day, and refreezes at night. I don't care how good you are as a winter driver, or whether you have chains or good snow tires, no one is driving on an icy, hilly street. (I think they changed the law/policy last winter, after a really brutal period of ice the year before).

They also don't have a ton of slowplows, since our issue is usually ice, not snow. But we don't get cold like you guys do. Maybe in the teens for a few days at a crack, and that would be significant.

All this, yes. Also, we tend to spread gravel rather than use salt on the roads.

We don’t really have a lot of plows; it’s a matter of how you want to allocate resources. Own a bunch of plows when we don’t usually have much snow? That’s just money sitting somewhere we can’t use it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The year I lived in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, it snowed. It snowed less than a 1/16 of an inch. The whole town shut down.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
In all fairness I’ll bet if it ever hits 85 in Winnipeg in the summer the whole city would shut down.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
The year I lived in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, it snowed. It snowed less than a 1/16 of an inch. The whole town shut down.

LOL!

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post