well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Goodbye, Segway PT

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodbye, Segway PT
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Segway says it will end production of its namesake two-wheeled personal transporter, popular with tourists and police officers but perhaps better known for its high-profile crashes.

The company, founded in 1999 by inventor Dean Kamen, will retire the Segway PT on July 15.

The company said 21 employees will be laid off. In 2017, Segway got into the scooter business just as it took over urban streets all over the world.

Although popular with touring companies, the Segway didn't take off with the public.

Segway, which boldly claimed its two-wheeled personal transporter would revolutionize the way people get around, is ending production of its namesake vehicle.

The Segway PT, popular with tourists and police officers but perhaps better known for its high-profile crashes, will be retired on July 15, the company said in a statement.

Never rode one. Guess I'm glad I didn't:

quote:
The transportation revolution that inventor Dean Kamen envisioned when he founded the company in 1999 never took off. The Segway's original price tag of around $5,000 was a hurdle for many customers. It also was challenging to ride because the rider had to be balanced at a specific angle for the vehicle to move forward. If the rider's weight shifted too much in any direction, it could easily spin out of control and throw the rider off.

https://www.wmur.com/article/s...transporter/32949679

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I never tried a segway. I thought they were stupid when they came out, and I never changed my opinion on that.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Read this from 2003:
http://www.thebestpageintheuni..._than_it_needs_to_be

That guy said it in 2003, I read it in 2003 and agreed. This should not have been a surprise. Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
When they first came out, I road one at a conference for which I was the host. At one point, I road it up a narrow ramp onto a stage. I was sure that would be a Fiasco - but I pulled it off without incident. They are helpful for police at malls or airports - but as a practical transportation device - not so much.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They were deadly, anyway.

Posts: 24637 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We did a couple hour tour on these in Chicago. It really helped see more than a walking tour! Probably took 30 minutes to get everyone comfortable and stable before heading out - there was 1-on-1 training.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post