well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sheep to the rescue

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep to the rescue
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Army veteran Sgt. Mickey Willenbring has always been a fighter. She grew up shuffling between homes — with her parents on the West Coast, with family on Native American reservations in the upper Midwest and within the foster care system across the country — during an adolescence she describes as sometimes violent.

But the military struck Willenbring as a way to channel the aggression she says built up during an unstable upbringing. In 1998, Willenbring, then 20, enlisted in the Army and deployed to Iraq five years later.

At StoryCorps, Willenbring remembers how her biggest fight would lie not on the battlefield, but in coming home. She returned from war with post-traumatic stress disorder, and has found calm as a sheep farmer in rural Oregon.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/01...ace-in-sheep-farming

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37702 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice! Rural (presumably central) Oregon isn't for everyone but I find it immensely peaceful, and unpopulated (which is related in my mind).

Good for her. I'm glad she has found peace.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A nice story. Thanks!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34814 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post