well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The price of housing is going up
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The price of housing is going up
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The booming housing market helped stave off economic collapse in 2020. But soaring prices are starting to worry policymakers, who fear the market could lock a generation of would-be buyers out of homeownership.

https://www.politico.com/news/...-policymakers-474433

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37747 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
In our neck o' the woods, housing in the suburbs is going bananas. People want to move out of the city and have discovered they no longer need to be close to work in many cases. A lot of companies are rethinking the need to have expensive, large downtown buildings after a year of remote work. Many employees are pressuring their employers to let them work remotely at least part of the time when lockdowns are lifted.

The result is less need to be close to work. The irony is that the move to the suburbs has traditionally been driven, in part, as an escape from high costs of living in "the city," but this portion of the equation is rapidly flipping.

Look also for a glut of commercial properties in traditional "downtown," as companies contract their footprint. Lots of places are considering hotelling, etc. Why pay the square footage on an office that is only used 2 days a week?

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We are looking at houses. Prices are eye-watering and have been shooting up this year. Like doubling over this time last year.

We were in Richland, Washington (near Hanford, the home of the Manhattan Project). A house I would think as a $100K - 200K was listed for $350K and the realtor expected there to be a bidding war.

We looked at one house that was built in 1943 as part of the Manhattan raze-and-build. It was originally a 2 or 3 (small) bedroom house. It had been added on to, but the work was a bit shoddy. It had a tangle of the original electrical system and some rework (no grounded outlets). There was a spot of rot in the roof. All the windows were original single-pane metal frame windows. No garage. The yard had been nice at one time, but it looked like several years of no maintenance. So, really, it was a shell and needed a complete gut and remodel. It was listed for $330K. Jeebus.

Closer to home, a house four blocks from me, a teardown (the listing euphemistically says "value is in the land"), a slightly larger lot than mine, right on the main arterial... just listed for $1.86M. For a teardown.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Closer to home, a house four blocks from me, a teardown (the listing euphemistically says "value is in the land"), a slightly larger lot than mine, right on the main arterial... just listed for $1.86M. For a teardown.
Congratulations, you are RICH!
happydance

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
...Only if I sell. And then I gotta live somewhere else.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Friends of ours are looking and it seems to be common to add some sort of escalation clause, essentially making every offer the start of a bidding war...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7545 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
There is a boom here. Inventory is low. Prices are zooming. Two nearby places are on the market.
One is probably under contract. The other is priced for Midas.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Crazy stuff PJ!

I remain incredibly grateful that we bought our house (and this piano) when we did!

Ron,
quote:
it seems to be common to add some sort of escalation clause, essentially making every offer the start of a bidding war

What does that mean? I don't understand what an escalation clause is?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

from the article:
quote:
Brown, who insists on calling his panel the “Senate Banking and Housing Committee,"

What a funny way to word it! What does the author want it to be called?

Also this:
quote:
The price of lumber is up about 180 percent since April

Yikes!!

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Our realtor says that both the housing and rental markets have been incredibly hot here. He also says that it predates the pandemic, but the pandemic did nothing to slow it down. People are buying houses sight unseen.

The university is hiring, so I guess that's some of it, but he says that it's at all price points.

Things are still a lot cheaper here than elsewhere. The only thing I can figure is that people are getting out of cities.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

from the article:
quote:
Brown, who insists on calling his panel the “Senate Banking and Housing Committee,"

What a funny way to word it! What does the author want it to be called?

Apparently, the real name is the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. (And I think securities is still within its mandate, too.)

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ah, that makes sense.

I just laughed at the wording "who insists on calling it"

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Crazy stuff PJ!

I remain incredibly grateful that we bought our house (and this piano) when we did!

Ron,
quote:
it seems to be common to add some sort of escalation clause, essentially making every offer the start of a bidding war

What does that mean? I don't understand what an escalation clause is?

https://www.fool.com/millionac...-best-practice-tips/

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7545 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Prices are crazy here too - not a good time to be looking for a house!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Prices are crazy here too - not a good time to be looking for a house!

Only if you think prices are likely to drop. Aside from 2008, and areas affected by plant closings snd such, that’s pretty rare.

2008 was kind of a one shot deal and I’m not seeing conditions like that today. Perhaps Jon will correct me if I’m wrong.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34826 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post