well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The price of housing is going up
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The price of housing is going up
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like that house a lot! It seems like a bargain compared to the extreme fixer you posted a while back.

I really like the exterior, especially the deep eaves. Very Prairie Style. I also like the brick and the windows.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34809 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
it doesn't have that gray theme that is so hard to get away from right now.

yes? wth is with the gray theme? ugly, ugly, ugly. not what you want in a place with long winters.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Geez.

This house (not far from me) went up for sale this morning. I've never seen the "will review offers on X date" except on HGTV shows.

That's how we had to make offers on apartments in Mesa. I had never seen it before.

seems like that's the only way you can buy a house anywhere in montana now.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
that prairie style house wtg posted would be $1M in missoula. maybe more. you almost never find a house of that quality here.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The original listing price was $449,900.

It sold for $511,000.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37664 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
that prairie style house wtg posted would be $1M in missoula. maybe more. you almost never find a house of that quality here.

Wasn't the size of that house under 2000 square feet? Or was it a different house? I find it hard to believe that houses go for $500 a square foot in Missoula, even if they have very nice finish levels.

Posts: 45719 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It was just under 2000 square feet.

I continue to keep an eye on what's going on in my local real estate market. Inventory is low and as soon as something comes on the market it goes under contract.

Crazytown.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37664 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I talked to a Realtor today and she told me that she's seen as many as 60 offers come in on one house. Eeker

Posts: 34809 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That's crazy!!

I don't think it's that bad around here, but definitely worse/crazier than it was while we were house hunting.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18294 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
She also said not to worry about selling right away as the market was likely to stay like this through Christmas.

Does she know what she’s talking about? Dunno, but my lender says the same thing.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Seems like the market is slowing down just a bit, at least in my immediate area. Even the really nice houses don't seem to be going under contract quite as quickly. I'm guessing that the wave of people who were ready to buy may have already purchased and that the current buyer pool isn't quite as desperate and not willing to pay any price like the previous group did.

Will be interesting to see what happens moving forward.

https://www.theatlantic.com/id...rket-records/619029/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The market here is pretty much what you might expect. Suburban and "outer" urban houses are going through the roof. Rents are going bananas. Housing in the inner core of downtown, historically some of the most expensive in the metro area, is flat to down. The realtors that I know say it's a combination of COVID remote work (why stay close to downtown if you don't have to commute) and concerns about protests and homelessness in the urban core. Our house has gone up in value to a nutty degree.

I think rents are likely to go bonkers again after July 1 when a lot of the renters' eviction statutes expire.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Redfin CEO says market has cooled slightly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/1...is-welcome-sign.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This could work to our advantage.

A friend of our neighbors is interested in buying a single story house for his mother and his two kids to live in. The idea is the kids will take care of mom and they will sell mom's 3 story condo.

He doesn't want to get involved in multiple bid or anything like that and would be be interested in selling our house and renting back while we find the replacement? No realtors, as is, all cash deal?

Yes we would!

He came over yesterday and seemed to like what he saw. Very pleasant guy, and it turns out we have a lot of friends in common from back in our youth sports days. Our kids know each other, and Greg used to work for his next door neighbor.

His wife and kids still need to see it, but it sounds like this could work! ThumbsUp

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know about the market cooling down. I just looked at Zillow and saw that my Santa Fe home has appreciated over 11% just in the last 30 days. That is totally effing crazy. That's bubble fear crazy. Doesn't do me much good of course, unless I wanted to sell and try to buy somewhere else ...

Posts: 12478 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post