well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Telemarketers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telemarketers
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I turn 65 in a few months and I'm being inundated with calls from telemarketers trying to sell me Medicare supplement policies. Also getting some calls about Medicare benefits I can take advantage of for supplies, etc. The latter are probably scammers and are looking for your Medicare number.

I answer the calls occasionally just for fun.

Telemarketer (with very heavy Indian accent): "Hello, my name is Ron Nelson".
WTG: "Hello. My name is Indira Gandhi."
TM: Hangs up

TM: "Am I speaking to wtg?"
wtg: "I'm not here."
TM: Hangs up

TM: "I'm calling about Medicare benefits that you are entitled to.:
wtg: "I'm not on Medicare."
TM: "Oh, I'm sorry. Good bye."

I also recently saw a news bit about going after telemarketers and collecting some money when they violate the Do Not Call registry. I think I got my first good candidate last night. Robocall about duct cleaning, so I pressed "1". Let the TM do her spiel and then I asked her what the name of the company is and what their phone number is. She gave me both. Of course they are spoofing a local number that belongs to a real person rather than any company.

Apparently people are having pretty good luck just contacting the company directly and asking for a settlement. A single offense is worth $1500 if you're on the Do Not Call list and apparently they often settle so they don't have to face the FTC.

I'll let you know how it goes.

https://www.khou.com/article/m...96-a777-8a8227cd007c

Long video. Haven't watched all of it yet but noticed the sound doesn't work during the first few minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...L6k&feature=emb_logo

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37923 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who flummoxed callers by picking up the phone and immediately saying, "Speaking."

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post