well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tidying Up
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tidying Up
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think once you have had to deal with the possessions of someone who has died, you see your own stuff in a new light.

I don’t want my kids to have to empty a house full of stuff. So I have resisted filling our empty nest with a bunch of junk just because we have extra space.

Cindy — who is down to about 10 hats/visors for tennis and sports, but who wears them all

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, my parents left their house to my brother.
There was a lot of carp left in the house after family took what they wanted.
It is listed for sale.
Wonder whether the listing states " Carp included". Cannot imagine him doing what it would take to get rid of it all.

I am going to start tossing stuff when I get home tomorrow, or maybe the day after. Smiler

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Just counted the ink pens/pencils/highlighters/sharpies in the top drawer in one of our kitchen cabinets: 134.

I am going through them individually. Ones that don't write well go in trash. The rest will go in a ziplock bag to donate to charity.

I figure I can get by with 20 -- especially given how many I know are in our bedroom and office.

As for the rest of the stuff (e.g. keys, pictures, chapstick, lotion, toothpicks, kleenex packets), I have drawer separators and am organizing Kondo style. It's looking nice already -- maybe I'll post a pic.

Cindy -- still looking for her good kitchen shears because someone made off with them

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I think once you have had to deal with the possessions of someone who has died, you see your own stuff in a new light.

I couldn't agree more.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:

I couldn't agree more.

Ditto.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
OMG now I'm in love with Quentin Crisp! I not only totally agree with him about tidying up being a waste of time, I think he must be the latest incarnation of Oscar Wilde.

A recording of his show ...

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10562 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t want my kids to have to empty a house full of stuff. So I have resisted filling our empty nest with a bunch of junk just because we have extra space.

Cindy — who is down to about 10 hats/visors for tennis and sports, but who wears them all

This happened to me more than 20 years ago, when one of my closest friends died. She had no family. We, her friends, organized ourselves to deal with her house, her personal papers, her estate. It was a huge job. We had multiple meetings and yard sales. At her memorial service we laid out her "pretties"--jewelry, scarves, mementoes--and everyone there took things home to remember her by.

Then we had a big winter bonfire up at a friend's lake house and burned her private papers.

I never was much of one for material things, but probably this experience did influence me to not accumulate much. Mr Pique is the collector. When he retires we will likely sell everything.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21300 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
bwahahahahaha!

quote:
“Either there’s a Netflix glitch or Marie Kondo’s methods have escalated.”

hysteric

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34823 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Oh, behave! Wink

Beautiful Stranger, Song by Madonna:

https://youtu.be/x5zaKE50U0o

Posts: 24635 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Recently learned something worth passing on, though. It's important if possible for parents to wait before getting rid of heirlooms and anything that might have special value (monetary or sentimental).

I'm happy to report that my sons now appear to have different attitudes vis a vis inheriting my own possessions - antiques especially. Since neither yet has a residence that would accommodate the furniture indefinitely, it would be stored if I should pass suddenly. (Meanwhile, hopefully, I'll be around long enough to keep using them and eventually see them enjoyed by my sons).

Secret: younger son is in a serious relationship with a young woman who loves antiques! Hahaha - he seems to be coming around too. (Hopefully, older son who is far from having a larger residence, rented or owned, may be able to tag on his more affluent brother's coat-tails. He's always liked our antiques).

In my own situation, I preferred spare and Scandinavian type items when I was in my teens and twenties (think I was sick of the "don't touchiness" of some of our household). Luckily, when my parents were going through their first major downsize, I had just purchased an almost vacant house so that worked out too.

(Note: Nina, Mary Anna and any others in that situation, take note. Your own kids might have a change of heart when they get a bit older.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yay for the storm drain meme!

Amanda, there's not much chance of me getting rid of items of substance or value. However, I desperately do not want to leave them an attic full of old papers and receipts because I was too lazy to figure out which ones could be tossed after seven years (or five or ten or whatever.) And appliances that no longer work. And dishware that looks like it was bought in 1981 and used for nigh onto forty years, because it was. And a hundred bath towels in thirty colors, because there might be a day when ninety-eight of them are dirty and we don't have time to wash them. I do not want my children to have to deal with this stuff because I refused to do it.

I want them to spend the weeks after my death thinking of me fondly and maybe shedding a couple of tears. I don't want them to be doing that while they're cursing my hoarder tendencies.

I'll never be Marie Kondo, but some things just need to be let go.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I figure I have a decade to purge my carp... About that time, Carol will retire and I'll say "Geez - look at all the carp you have... You need to get rid of that carp!" heheh... yeah, that'll work... Leaving

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post