well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tidying Up
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tidying Up
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Marie Kondo ("does it spark joy?") has a show on Netflix. We watched two episodes last night and liked it. It fits right in with a lot of what we have been talking about here.

Atlantic review here

Reviews are mixed, with some particularly negative ones coming from people who like to keep books:

Marie Kondo's book advice in Netflix's 'Tidying Up' has upset a lot of bookworms.

And then there is the "Venus and Mars" thing:

The Marie Kondo wars: how Netflix’s clutter consultant is sparking domestic unrest

After we watched the second episode I thanked the TV for it's service and went to bed.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I have had to do a lot of this lately. I am with her on the books(though you should not rip out pages, but donate!). Book boxes are the heaviest to move. We really downsized our books.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I watched a couple episodes, and enjoyed them somewhat, but…

I have noticed that the more years one lives by themselves, and I have lived by myself many, many years, there is a tendency to develop a quirky personality. I’m afraid that talking to my underwear as I fold it might create a “coals to Newcastle” situation.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I watched a couple episodes, and enjoyed them somewhat, but…

I have noticed that the more years one lives by themselves, and I have lived by myself many, many years, there is a tendency to develop a quirky personality. I’m afraid that talking to my underwear as I fold it might create a “coals to Newcastle” situation.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I think I've managed to sustain, and possibly increase, my quirkiness, even though I'm married. The main takeaway is that Mary Anna is a saint.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I tried to follow her advice but it didn’t spark any joy so I threw it away.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I think I've managed to sustain, and possibly increase, my quirkiness, even though I'm married. The main takeaway is that Mary Anna is a saint.

Likewise, my dear.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I tried to follow her advice but it didn’t spark any joy so I threw it away.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The comment I saw was, "I looked around for things that didn't spark joy. So I threw out my husband." Big Grin

I am no fan of clutter but this seems a bit nuts. First, I really react negatively to all this blather about "does it spark joy?" Seriously, that seems like a significantly high bar to get over. Does my toaster spark joy? Nope, but I'm keeping it, regardless. It's along the same lines as people who go on and on about "finding their bliss." It just irks me, big time.

The world does not owe you a lifetime of 24/7 joy-filled bliss. I mean, sometimes you have to pay bills and take out the garbage.

And get off my lawn. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I try to be open minded to everybody’s views here, and in general. I don’t think everyone who voted for Trump is necessarily a racist etc.

But, I have my limits. On what planet is your toaster not a source of joy? It takes bread, which is already cooked, AND COOKS IT AGAIN, MAKING IT WARM AND TOASTY AND ALLOWING MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF BUTTER TO MELT ON IT!

Your toaster not a source of joy? Now we’re talking fake news…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
The comment I saw was, "I looked around for things that didn't spark joy. So I threw out my husband." Big Grin

I am no fan of clutter but this seems a bit nuts. First, I really react negatively to all this blather about "does it spark joy?" Seriously, that seems like a significantly high bar to get over. Does my toaster spark joy? Nope, but I'm keeping it, regardless. It's along the same lines as people who go on and on about "finding their bliss." It just irks me, big time.

The world does not owe you a lifetime of 24/7 joy-filled bliss. I mean, sometimes you have to pay bills and take out the garbage.

And get off my lawn. Big Grin

I think this is a misunderstanding of the phrase "find your bliss". It does not mean 24/7 ecstacy, in fact it can entail much pain and sadness. "Finding your bliss" simply means knowing you are on the right path for you, and there is bliss in that, no matter how hard or difficult it may be.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Tidying up? Heh. I saw a quote recently about how creative people don't have messes lying about, they are piles of ideas. Paraphrased.

I was watching these fabulous interviews last night of Quentin Crisp by David Letterman, and he had something to say about cleaning. The bit starts at 2:04 (I think I've set it properly). Wise words!! Smiler

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thank you for introducing me to Quentin Crisp, Bernard. He's himself, all right - as he and others have remarked, the only thing all of us can do better than anybody else (but I can't think of anyone who's done it better than anyone else).

Original to the nth degree, and brave beyond imagining.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Meh. Can't imagine watching other people clean out a closet.

Then again, I have no problem throwing things away. Few items have emotional meaning for me. Watching people debate whether to keep an old ticket stub would drive me nuts.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Does my toaster spark joy?
If your toaster sparks at all, you should discard it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post