well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A house on a golf course.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A house on a golf course.
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp Excellent post, Mark.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
the house is grotesque not my style.

golf course living is for privileged snobs. but if they let the unwashed masses hike there and xc ski there and they don't kill birds and insects and poison waterways with pesticides, they are okay by me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
A few of you are unbelievable. My mother (and father ,rip) are not "privileged snobs". They both grew up in poverty and my father started working in a machine shop sweeping the floors at age 15. He worked his ass off his entire life and built up a nest egg. He died not long after he retired but made sure my mother had a nice modest, 2,000 soft house (and yes, it's on a golf course) Again with your fvcking generalizations of people based on what sport they enjoy, and where they live.

Fvck you.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
No kidding. FWIW, there are many, many modest homes that look out over golf courses. Townhomes, duplexes, apartment complexes, single family < 2000 sq ft homes. I know because I lived in one.

Thank you for putting me in my place. Now I know that I'm a privileged snob. markj, can I join your club?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I currently live in a condo on a golf course. One of the reasons I bought it was because it was so much less expensive than my little 60-year-old house in the suburbs, that I couldn’t really take care of anymore.

I may be a privileged snob, but I don’t think this condo is what does it.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
People look down their noses at all sorts of choices that other people make. Some people might think that having too many kids is selfish and wasteful. Or that not having kids is selfish and egotistical. People might think that working as an investment banker means that you're a terrible human being. People might think that horse ownership is reserved for privileged snobs. (Not me, Jodi! I wouldn't think such a thing!!! Wink ) Or that ownership of a massive grand piano, like those that several here, including us, own, is a sign of snobbery.

The only difference these days is this: because of the internet and the general lowering of the level of discourse, people seem to feel unconstrained about telling others that their lifestyle choices make them sneer-able.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
It is complete news to me that there are modest homes, inexpensive homes, and even condos on private golf courses. The ones I am familiar with are very exclusive and there is indeed a lot of snobbishness and excluding of people who are "less than". They are expensive private clubs. The kinds of places that excluded blacks and Jews when i was growing up. Hence my antipathy.

So I learned something. Apologies to all who were offended.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post