well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A house on a golf course.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A house on a golf course.
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted

Saw this monstrosity for sale today, while playing a round of golf at The Legend at Bergamont.

This is in Oregon, WI. Not far from Madison. Lots of Epic money in this area.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Would never live on a golf course. Too many chemicals used in the lawn care.

I think this is the listing for the house you saw, markj.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M74446-04527?view=qv

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We could all live there.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Don’t tell Mary Anna, but that’s kind of my dream house. Hell to heat it, though.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Don’t tell Mary Anna, but that’s kind of my dream house. Hell to heat it, though.

That surprises me. Why would you want 8K square feet?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

I like space. And I like the interiors of that house.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

I like space. And I like the interiors of that house.

A house like that requires staff. I don’t want staff. I like cozy.

And I hate golf courses.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
We could all live there.

WTF retirement home? Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I hate golf courses. They require too much chemical maintenance and are very bad for the environment.

Very bad.

Another reason to hate I 1.

I was just reading today that Cyanobacteria has closed down the family lake, in NH. a first. So I was reading about it. Sad. And it is human related and happening to many areas. Lakes, ponds, reservoirs, etc. and it's our fault. I'll post a beginners read next.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
http://beachapedia.org/Cyanobacteria

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I hate golf courses. They require too much chemical maintenance and are very bad for the environment.

Very bad.

Another reason to hate I 1.

I was just reading today that Cyanobacteria has closed down the family lake, in NH. a first. So I was reading about it. Sad. And it is human related and happening to many areas. Lakes, ponds, reservoirs, etc. and it's our fault. I'll post a beginners read next.

You Hate golf courses, You Hate Donald Trump and now have found another reason to hate him, which is golf. Does that sound about right?

Do you hate Barack Obama? Bill Clinton?, Lyndon Johnson? John F. Kennedy? Do you hate me and every other forum member or even member of the human species because we play golf?

I was brought up to not hate people. Hatred of other human beings, was simply not permitted in my mother's universe. I wish more of us would have been brought up the same way. Many humans have put that upbringing to the test over my 57 years. I admit the current president has tested it more than most, but I do not hate him. I disagree with about everything the man says, does, or represents, but I do not hate him.

Hate, just breeds hate.

Your information about how golf courses affect the environment is dated, and wrong. A well managed golf course is beneficial to the environment. The types and quantities of chemicals they use in the management of a golf course, have changed dramatically over the past few decades.

They do environmental impact and improvement studies. They provide safe sanctuary for various species of migratory birds, and other aquatic and terrestrial species of plants and animals. The large expanse of plant life and landscaping helps reduce carbon emissions, water (and gasp! chemical) run-off. A golf course provides large amounts of oxygen to the environment.

Golf courses are not the fearsome negative force that you believe or portray them. Like anything humans do, they can be mismanaged and even maintained in an environmentally abusive way. Most of them are not mismanaged. Golf courses fall under several regulation categories of the EPA and local and state environmental agencies.

There are associations for greens-keepers and course managers that keep them up to date on the latest methodologies, and practices as well as regulations, and environmental concerns. There is real science going on here. I believe there are even undergrad and post-grad degrees in golf course management and the science of designing, constructing, and maintaining them.

In your "beginners read" article they do not even mention golf courses.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great points, mark.

We share this earth and need to find a happy medium as to how we use it. Golf courses are a compromise of sorts, but all of life is....

You raise good points about the benefits of golf courses. (which I grudgingly acknowledge despite the fact that I'm a bit of a purist who would rather the see the land entirely in its natural state.... WhoMe).

Special note of this bit:

quote:
Originally posted by markj:
I was brought up to not hate people. Hatred of other human beings, was simply not permitted in my mother's universe. I wish more of us would have been brought up the same way. Many humans have put that upbringing to the test over my 57 years. I admit the current president has tested it more than most, but I do not hate him. I disagree with about everything the man says, does, or represents, but I do not hate him.

Hate, just breeds hate.

Amen.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Golf courses are better than Trump Towers.I represented a developer who wanted to put 4 houses near a rural Maine golf course. Houses barely visible from the fairway. Golf club tied him up in court for years but we ultimately won. He named the subdivision Bushwood.

jf

Many years ago

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
He named the subdivision Bushwood.

jf

ROTFLMAO

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That house is much to large to have such an ordinary-sized piano in it. Ole

Although I will say that I like the colors of the interior, the muted earth tones, that one spot with a round bench by the window...

But 8800 sq. feet??

Since we moved, Mr SK and I are always saying how far it is to go from the master bedroom to the dining room. ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post